upgrade lights

tex

Can't decide if i should switch from my 4-vho light to a current light system of 6-54 t5's. My tank is a 75 gal tank but looking to upgrade my lights. I currently have a vho lights under a canopy which i would not be able to use if i change. but i really like the looks of a finish product vs lights just sitting on the top. If i decided to keep my canopy could i cut a hole in canopy for the light or would i have to take the complete top off.
Nick

pbnj

I took the top lid (all one piece) off my 75g canopy and inserted two wooden boards inside on the ends of the canopy so that my light fixture sits about 1/2" below the lip at the top and about 7" off the top of the water.

tex

But does your lghts have fans on the side or switches? do you have any pictures? I've already got a retro vho kit over the tank but i'd like to switch to t-5's. The vho retro kit is such a mess in dealing with the wires and the ballast. I really don't want to cut holes for the fans on the side.
Nick

pbnj

Sorry, my camera went out two days ago.
Mine has fans in the back, but the unit sits almost completely on top of the canopy (only 1/2" sits below the top so no light can be seen when looking at the tank). My new Outer Orbit fixture has fans/switches on the side...no problem.