Upgrade to 125 question

erock412

If I take some LR out of my current 55g DT, and put it (and some new sand) in an extra 55 i have laying around would that start a cycle? Would I still have to add the cocktail shrimp? The reason I ask is b/c I am picking up a 125 next monday (which the lfs is selling for $1/gal!!) and I'd like to see if I can start a cycle so that i'd be able to put at least 110 gallons of good water into the 125. in the 55 i have running i only have 2 clowns and a cuc along w/ LR and sand and since the 125 is going where the 55 is right now, i figure if i can cycle w/ the extra tank i have, then once the cycle is over i can just do 55g DT + 55g cycle = 110g into 125g then kinda just "top off" the remaining 15g and move everything into the 125 in one move. Good idea, or rookie mistake waiting to happen?

lion_crazz

There is no reason to use the additional 55. If you just move everything into the 125, and do not add new fish for a month or so, you will be fine. Just think of it as adding a 75 gallon sump to your current 55. That would not cause a cycle, so moving things into a 125 will not either. The biological bacteria cannot tell that it is a new aquarium. You are not adding more livestock that would need more bacteria to keep the ammonia from spiking out of control.

jackri

So everything from the 55 gallon already set up is going in the 125 gallon?
If so you'd probably be alright with just a couple of clowns as they can't really produce that much waste in a 125 gallon. Think of it as a 50% water change to begin with and then adding a couple of clowns. I wouldn't do it thought withouth 55+ gallons of "mature" full of bacteria water to begin with though.

lion_crazz

The water does not matter. Bacteria does not travel in water. The only place where bacteria is located is in the live rock and sandbed. Keep these two as undisturbed as possible and you will be fine.
I moved my entire 75 into my 210 a few years ago, all in one shot, and nothing was harmed and no levels spiked because no new livestock was added. It was the same 75 gallon aquarium, with a bigger water violume.

jackri

Yes very true, you have to move your bacteria source with it (live rock), not just the water.

t316

Agree with the above, but I would note that you need to remember your clowns and cuc. Make sure you don't disturb the sand and l/r any more than necesary during the move. You don't want a big cloudy mess with a spike in ammonia that will harm the livestock.

erock412

thanks...that makes my job much easier. any tips on minimizing the sand cloud? When i start this new tank i think I'll start taking some pics and start a diary on the forum. Like I said, I don't have a lot to move, so it will pretty much be like starting fresh.

t316

Originally Posted by ERock412
http:///forum/post/2885579
thanks...that makes my job much easier. any tips on minimizing the sand cloud? When i start this new tank i think I'll start taking some pics and start a diary on the forum. Like I said, I don't have a lot to move, so it will pretty much be like starting fresh.
Move one (1) section at the time, then let everything settle, maybe a small water change, repeat process.
And YES, we expect some pics bro....

erock412

do you think it would help if i moved all my sand and LR, then filled the tank only high enough to submerge my LR, then waited for the water to clear and filled the rest of the tank? im thinking that maybe a more concentrated cloud, in less water, would settle faster than a full tank of water, then when the water clears i could siphon my DT, directing that water away from the sand bed and then move my fish. any ideas?

ilovemytank

Great advice everyone ! T316 - Love the avatar of the puppy with santa hat. I want to add on to some of the advice you have been given. I'ts very risky moving the sand ( not because of a sand storm ) and could cause you to loose any fish that you currently have in the tank if not done properly. Therefore I wouldn't move it. The sand is a natural barrier holding down your nitrites and nitrates as benneficial bacteria does away with them. Its a natural filter just like your live rock. It doesn't hurt to move the top of your sand around but if you go deep and start moving large quantities around it will release all of its build up and cause your tank to spike. Some say to only take the top 1/2 inch and your safe and others will tell you there are ways to safely remove all of it. You must know exactly how to remove it. It can be done but to me its not worth it. When I first got into this hobby and thought I knew what I was doing, I moved my sand in a tank transfer that had alot of fish. I felt real bad when I lost $ 500 dollars in fish. Losing the fish was worse than the money though. Sand is cheap. Move everything else but don't risk moving that sand. Best of luck.

trouble93

Originally Posted by lion_crazz
http:///forum/post/2885546
The water does not matter. Bacteria does not travel in water. The only place where bacteria is located is in the live rock and sandbed. Keep these two as undisturbed as possible and you will be fine.
I moved my entire 75 into my 210 a few years ago, all in one shot, and nothing was harmed and no levels spiked because no new livestock was added. It was the same 75 gallon aquarium, with a bigger water violume.
+1 I just did the same thing about two months ago with no spike, but I didn't add any new livestock for about 4 weeks.