Upgrading filtration in a 24g Nano..

jemshores

Just received a 24g JBJ cube for my birthday
Have a 12g running now and love it, but hubb said I'm running out of room! I upgraded the return pump on the 12 to a Rio 6 (should of got the 9) but now wanting to do the same with the 24. I have a Nano Koralia that I could put in but don't think that will be enough. I am keeping some corals-zoas,palys, xenia, so definetly need some flow, for I will be transferring everything to the 24. Do you have any ideas on what would be the best way to go? Appreciate all ideas

jemshores

Thanks for the link...but not sure that the way I want to go. I am looking for a flow upgrade I guess more than anything. The Chemi Pure and Purigen I alreayd use, I just want to get alot of flow going! Could I run 2 submersible pumps in this tank as opposed to what it came with? Or more powerheads, (koralias). I have the stock pump that came with my 12g and would like to add it to the 2nd chamber as well-will this work?

zigster

im still running the stock return pump, i added a hydor flow deflector which changes the flow around (my xenia loves it), and i have a korrilia 1 in the upper right front corner that works pretty good. i am considering upgrading my return to a maxijet 1200 and adding a korrilia nano that i have laying around.

jemshores

Thanks Zig and Nano....I was concerned about the return pump, as far as flow. The height on this is taller than expected, especiall when looking at the 12G. I think I will leave the stock and add a K#1. I also have a Nano K not in use that might be added. I bought it for the 12g and after upgrading to the larger return found I didn't need it.
As for Steelers-born and bred-die hard!! Hope my Pens can pull it off too! Thanks all again!

jemshores

After alot of flow thought I finally made up my mind on this tank. I bought a Power Sweep (279gph) and a K1. Will continue to run the stock pump.(top water agitation). The K1 will be in the middle back aimed down on the LR and the PSweep will be placed on the glass under the return (right side). It shoots the water 180 degrees back & forth and will place it down about 5-6" =/- from sand bed. I think this will cover all my area. The 24G's footprint is awesome and really wanted to cover the entire tank-been watching it cycle and can spot the "dead' areas. BTW used the black & white sand and I highly recommend it! Pics soon.....
Whatcha all think?

dankbardy31

If you ever want to upgrade your return pump the rio 6hf is what I have. It generates massive flow with no problems. It even uses less electricity than the equivalent MJ that has less gph. Do you have one of the surface skimmers that Nanonewb, me, and a bunch of other people have? If not get one, keeps the top of your water from getting filmy. Also the mod in the chambers has been done and succesfully so in a lot of peoples tanks including mine. Floss is much easier to remove than sponges (and you dont have to clean it, just toss and replace). Good luck, curious to see some pictures when you get a chance.