Upgrading lighting

kelly

I am seriously considering purchasing a 48" Tek Light 6-54W T5 HO Fluorescent lighting system. I was wondering if I should go with 2 daylight bulbs 6500k, 2 10,000k bulbs and 2 actinic bulbs.
Three 6500K bulbs are included with it. I am not familiar with 11,000k or 12,000k bulbs, which they offer, and was wondering which would be better the Actinic Plus or the Actinic 03.
Your comments and experience are welcome and greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Kelly

bonebrake

6500 K will be a gross yellow color. They are pretty much worthless unless you use them for a refugium or a freshwater planted tank. 10,000, 11,000, and 12,000 K will be practically the same to the

[hr]
eye. It will produce a crisp white color. You will want (3) actinic 03 bulbs and (3) 10,000+ K bulbs.
:joy:

rick58

Kelly,
I am not up to speed on what you plan to grow in your tank, however, you may want to consider going with fewer actinic bulbs and more 'daylight bulbs if you plan on having corals. Actinics are cool to look at but really don't offer much to most corals.
I am not sure why Bonebrake said that the 6500 are worthless, over the years I've grown some pretty nice coral with them. I do agree that the color is yellowish if not complimented with some actinic, but growth wise I've had no problems.
I do prefer a more blue look than the 6500 provide, but that is preference on my part. I know many who prefer the other.
Goodluck

bonebrake

Originally Posted by Rick58
Kelly, I am not sure why Bonebrake said that the 6500 are worthless...
Worthless is a strong word to use. 6500 K lamps can serve a purpose and will work for a tank, but the color is less than desirable in my opinion. I prefer the more "blue" look of 14,000 - 20,000 K lighting, but not everyone likes the "blue" look.

kelly

Right now I have mostly softies, but I plan on some LPS and maybe some SPS. The reason I thought to keep the 6500K was because that is the closest to actual sunlight. The 10,000K was to help offset the yellow color and the actinic to bring in the blue color. If everything goes ok, I may get rid of the softies due to competition with sps.
With the actinics:
The 54W Actinic Plus T5 HO Fluorescent states : combines the properties of a Pure Actinic 03 with a Blue bulb producing a unique spectrum that encourages both bluing in SPS corals and fluorescence in capable corals.
The 54W Pure Actinic 03 T5 HO Fluorescent states: Pure “actinic” bulb which produces a spectrum that peaks at 420nm producing a spectrum that encourages ultimate fluorescence in capable corals.
Still could use some advice on the actinics.
Thanks,
Kelly

kelly

I ordered it... got
1 54W 12000K Aquablue
1 54W Super Actinic
2 54W Blue Plus
1 54W 12000K Actinic White (50/50)
and one of their standard bulbs that comes with it. I just hope that it is not too blue.
Kelly

kelly

Bonebrake,
I got the lights yesterday, and I was surprised, it was whiter than I expected. It looks nice though, and is alot brighter than the old lights. Some of the softies have a little better polyp extension already. Now I need to get some new powerheads and get started on some sps frags. I saw some interesting ones at TheReefSpot site.
Where are you going to medical school at and what is your speciality? My youngest son is going to start pre-med at SRU this coming semester. He is thinking about pediatrics. I also have a daughter attending Butler community college taking nursing classes, and waiting to get accepted in to their nursing program.
Kelly

bonebrake

Kelly:
I am glad the lights look good. I think you will have a lot of growth and color under such a varied mix of bulbs.
I did my undergraduate studies at Shippensburg University and I am currently in my second year at Philadelphia College of Osteopathic Medicine and could not be happier. I shadowed a radiologist throughout high school and college and I will likely specialize in radiology, however, I am open to other possibilities as well. I had several high school friends go to Slippery Rock, if your son has any questions about anything feel free to have him contact me at stevenbonebrake@gmail.com.
As for your daughter I wish her the best of luck in nursing school. It is an absolutely booming field of medicine and there could not be a better time to get into it!