upgrading question

jtoz116

hey eveyone,
i am going to upgrade from a 29 gallon reef to a 55 gallon reef. I would like to know if I have to let the new tank cycle, or can I just add everything to the 55 gallon in 1 day. I am adding 40 pounds of cured live rock from phisybusiness.com, and i am going to use the old water and seed the sand with my established sand.
any advice....and is this ok to do?

crazy4reefs

the only problem i see is that even though you are ordering cured live rock it will still have some die off during shipping that could most likely cause some sort of cycle. maybe you could set up the 55 with the new rock and water( but leave enough for you to add your water from the 29)
and just give it a few days to see if you get a small cycle. thats just my own opinion, hope this helped :)

flatzboy

Also just a tip if you havent bought the 55g. tank yet I'd bump it up to a 75g. it 48'' long to like the 55g. but taller and wider and is a lot better for aquascaping and there is alot more fish that you can put ina 75g. that get to big for a 55g.:D

robchuck

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
Also just a tip if you havent bought the 55g. tank yet I'd bump it up to a 75g. it 48'' long to like the 55g. but taller and wider and is a lot better for aquascaping and there is alot more fish that you can put ina 75g. that get to big for a 55g.:D

This is a great piece of advice. The 75g doesn't cost much more than a 55g and the equipment (other than pumps) is going to be about the same for either tank. Plus, aquascaping an 18" wide tank is much easier than a 12" wide tank.

ctgretzky9

I agree, I woul dwait and run the new rock through for a few days at least and check parameters. Leave enough rom to get the 29 gallons into the new tank. You are doubling the volume of water, so this will also give youa chance to get the salinity and everything else up to par witht the 29.
And that is good advice from flat and rob...I never though of it that way. A 75 is basically a larger version of a 55 gallon with more room.

jtoz116

thanks...but too late i have already bought the 55 with the equipment and stuff.
thanks for the advice