Upgrading tank question

duke jjz

I currently have a 75 gallon FOWLR tank. If I ever wanted to upgrade to , lets say a 150, could I just transfer everything into the new tank and then top off with new saltwater? Would that cause another cycle?

dogstar

Originally Posted by Duke JJZ
Would that cause another cycle?
Nope, not unless something dies or you add new rock.
If you now have a lot of sand thats pretty dirty then stiring that up when moveing could cause a nitrate spike so have extra water to do a change if that happens.

S

sinner's girl

depends! are you using cc or ls? Is ls, I don't know. If cc then make sure the cc is clean, when we moved ours, it had a mini cycle.
Also, if you have fish/inverts in the there, I wouldn't add 75 new gallons at once...unless you want to acclimate them to the tank.

duke jjz

I have LS and LR... Yes I would have live stock that I would be adding. So i guess it would be a good idea to add the other 75 gallons alittle at a time? maybe 10 gallons a day to slowly acclimate the livestock to the new water params??

S

sinner's girl

that sounds good, just 75 fresh gallons sound like a lot, but I cause if it's the same temp, sg, ph, ect as you water....I'd still add a little at time. I did when I moved the 55gl to the 75.