Upgrading to Hagen GLO HO T5 2x48watts for 10G

mojohoojo

Sorry for the wrong input on the thread...it should be 24 watt.....Hi i am thinking to upgrade to T5 for my 10G nano tank......currently i am using PC T8x15 watts x 2....White/blue. Question is, if i were to upgrade to T5 mention above will it be too much for the tank?!

flricordia

OK lighting. That is what I have over my 20longs. Over a 10gl I would cut the photoperiod a bit at first going from normal output T8 to the T5. IF you are getting the Hagen 24/29wt ballast you will find that you are overdriving the 24wt bulbs. I first got the 39wt and compared them to the 24wt on the same ballast and the 24wt were brighter. I have a couple sps that are doing fine under them. In other words carefull, that is going to be a large jump in intensity and it may shock your corals if you don't take it easy.
Don't think it would be too much though, if you started the photoperiod low end and raised it over a month or so.

rotarygeek

Hey i have the same light, only the single bulb version on my 30 gallon, and i love it. At the time i couldn't find anything better, so i got that. I was very impressed with it. But im looking at buying a nova extreme pro t5 HO next month. They have a 24" 6 bulb setup, which should let me keep just about anything i want in it. And its the same price if you know where to look. Shoot me a pm and ill show you where to get them.

mojohoojo

Originally Posted by Flricordia
http:///forum/post/2569156
OK lighting. That is what I have over my 20longs. Over a 10gl I would cut the photoperiod a bit at first going from normal output T8 to the T5. IF you are getting the Hagen 24/29wt ballast you will find that you are overdriving the 24wt bulbs. I first got the 39wt and compared them to the 24wt on the same ballast and the 24wt were brighter. I have a couple sps that are doing fine under them. In other words carefull, that is going to be a large jump in intensity and it may shock your corals if you don't take it easy.
Don't think it would be too much though, if you started the photoperiod low end and raised it over a month or so.
Ok...mean i have to introduce it slowly to the tank right? how do i do that? can you explain wat you mean starting the photo periodlow end and raising it? thanks
really appriaciate the advice