Upkeep Cost...

wiluven

I've been researching Salt Water tanks for a couple weeks now pretty heavily. I've spent a fair amount of time at the local Salt Water store looking at tanks, fish, etc. I've also read all the posts for 'newbies' on this forum as well as all the posts going back a few months. If I decide to do this, I think I've decided on a 90 gallon bowed tank.
I am still trying to decide whether this is a hobby I want to get into or not. It is *really* interesting but everyone has a 'pain in the butt line' that can't be crossed or they give up. I am still having trouble trying to figure out what that may be.
My question is this - how much time and money can I expect to put into this hobby a week for just general upkeep? I'm not talking about the cost of fish or the cost of that pump that just died or the cost of better lighting. Just cost of upkeep (time and money). I've done tons of reading and haven't been able to find the rough answer to this question.
Thanks in advance!

Your answer is very wide range do to what happens during a month of up keep.Plus what type of equipment you get and etc.
Whats your budget per month if you get a tank?

nigerbang

Originally Posted by Wiluven
I've been researching Salt Water tanks for a couple weeks now pretty heavily. I've spent a fair amount of time at the local Salt Water store looking at tanks, fish, etc. I've also read all the posts for 'newbies' on this forum as well as all the posts going back a few months. If I decide to do this, I think I've decided on a 90 gallon bowed tank.
I am still trying to decide whether this is a hobby I want to get into or not. It is *really* interesting but everyone has a 'pain in the butt line' that can't be crossed or they give up. I am still having trouble trying to figure out what that may be.
My question is this - how much time and money can I expect to put into this hobby a week for just general upkeep? I'm not talking about the cost of fish or the cost of that pump that just died or the cost of better lighting. Just cost of upkeep (time and money). I've done tons of reading and haven't been able to find the rough answer to this question.
Thanks in advance!

As in a 90 gallon Corner?

srfisher17

If you invest in quality equipment up front, do your homework ,get what you need, upkeep is mostly time, not$$$. However, as almost everyone on this site knows; after a while you'll become so hooked you'll want to buy a bigger tank, more fish, new toys....it never ends! But, if you do avoid becoming addicted; you'll find that the more you stick to a maintenance schedule (vital!!); costs aren't bad.

wiluven

I don't exactly have a budget - Just looking for a high/low $$ amount. Will the general stuff (food, sand, etc) cost more than 100 dollars a month for a 90 gallon tank?
How much time is spent roughly working with the tank - cycling, feeding, etc.
Not a 90 gallon corner - 90 gallon bowed. Rectangular tank but the front bows out.

zman1

That is still a variable even with the additional information added to the post. It depends on what specimens you add to your system, how automated you make things.
Estimates on time
Daily
Feed daily or every other day - 15 minutes
Top-off - Automated - 0 minutes
Clean glass -5 minutes unless you do it weekly
Weekly or monthly
Water changes - 30 minutes
Looking at the tank 64 hours weekly
Cost -
All consumables - cost something
Salt, filters changes, ETC.
Cost folks don't always anticipate for-
Water bill - Depends, for every gallon of RO used three go down the drain
Electric bill - you can calculate this yourself based on the equipment you choose and hours you run it.
Who will take care of the tank while you are all on extended vacation.

nigerbang

I don't exactly have a budget - Just looking for a high/low $$ amount. Will the general stuff (food, sand, etc) cost more than 100 dollars a month for a 90 gallon tank?
How much time is spent roughly working with the tank - cycling, feeding, etc.
Not a 90 gallon corner - 90 gallon bowed. Rectangular tank but the front bows out.
I doubt food will cost 100 a month...No need for more sand...
Just wondering if you were looking into a corner...I am about to try and sell my 92 corner..

wiluven

I wouldn't do it any other way - definately quality equipment up front. Last thing I need to do is start a hobby with crappy equipment. Just trying to figure out some sort of time estimate.
Ie when I got my puppy, I knew before hand how many times I can expect to take the dog outside for a walk. I knew how much time I should be spending a day with the dog to to train her.
I just don't want to spend 2000 dollars and find out 'man, this requires WAY more time than I have'.
Originally Posted by srfisher17
If you invest in quality equipment up front, do your homework ,get what you need, upkeep is mostly time, not$$$. However, as almost everyone on this site knows; after a while you'll become so hooked you'll want to buy a bigger tank, more fish, new toys....it never ends! But, if you do avoid becoming addicted; you'll find that the more you stick to a maintenance schedule (vital!!); costs aren't bad.

wiluven

Originally Posted by NigerBang
I doubt food will cost 100 a month...No need for more sand...
Just wondering if you were looking into a corner...I am about to try and sell my 92 corner..
Ahh I misunderstood. well I'd love to see it if you have pics. I have the movers coming in a week to move everything to the new place so I'm not exactly sure where it's going to go yet, have a few ideas :)

S

sudc

Mostly it depends on what you want to keep in the tank and how much of it.
I have a 180g with ALOT of sps, lps and softies but only 8 fish. I spot feed my corals at least every other night and usually every night and i overfeed my fish by most standards. I dont dose the tank with anything really like most people do but i do use additives in my foods like selcon,zoecon, garlic and a few others.
Total cost of upkeep for that tank per month-
food and additives-$25
Water changes and topoffs-$30
Time?!? Don't even ask,lol! I literally spend about 1-2 hours per night after everyone goes to sleep mixing foods and then spot feeding corals in my tank. I don't HAVE to do that but i like them to grow faster and enjoy doing it so for me its not a pain. I actually have alot of fun watching my corals different feeding responses as they eat

If you join the hobby, expect to spend ALOT of time on it. Most will tell you it isn't a hobby, it's an ADDICTION!

nigerbang

Ahh I misunderstood. well I'd love to see it if you have pics. I have the movers coming in a week to move everything to the new place so I'm not exactly sure where it's going to go yet, have a few ideas :)
I have some older pics....Looks the same though..except almost empty...lemme see if I can find some more..To give ya some scale...Its around 22" deep, and there is about 120lbs of LR in there...

Hi everyone my name is Kingfish and I'm a saltwater addict
!
46g bow front.
It cost $20 for water change and $15 month for food if I avg. it. My elec bill is like $30 extra if i did not have a tank.
Additives: $10 month
Time on the tank: like some people 1 or so hrs to make the tank as best as it can be.
Now time watching the tank is like 3 or so hours a night. I find something new everything day almost.

jtrzerocool

Originally Posted by kingfish8302
Now time watching the tank is like 3 or so hours a night. I find something new everything day almost.
this is the best part of this hobby. if you look long enough you will always find somthing new.

tell me about it. My gf whats a 500g to 1700g for a shark and stuff. I'm glad i have my cert. to drive!
If i had a 1700 g thats one heck of a reach to put coral or some on the bottom.

I can hear her now, babe can you move that coral over a little more (its the most bottom coral too).
I think i'll get a 500g in a few year once out of college which this semster is my last one

E

essop3

I buy a $60 bucket of salt every 3 months. New r/o filters, carbon, filter pads and such at the fish store are about $15 a month. I'd guess my water/electric went up ~$20 a month. So maybe $50 a month average to keep my 125 gallon reef.

jonfletch01

average running cost for me is about 40-50 a month... was more til I bought my RO unit... it will pay for itself in 1.5 months...
but time is the big thing... I spend about 1-3 hours per work night looking at it... watching the fish, anem, coral... etc... and on the wkends.. about 5-6 hours a day... not that I don't have a life... it's just really enjoyable and peaceful to watch the tank...

pakora

Im in the same boat as you. But instead of going all out and buying a huge tank I decided on a small 10g. That way I can gain experience and get a "feel" for things. Keeping a 10g in order is from what I heard quite an advanced move so once you get it down the larger tanks should be a breeze. Good Luck on whatever you do and post pics when you get your stuff!!!
MY FISH CAM - LIVE!

srfisher17

I wouldn't do it any other way - definately quality equipment up front. Last thing I need to do is start a hobby with crappy equipment. Just trying to figure out some sort of time estimate.
Ie when I got my puppy, I knew before hand how many times I can expect to take the dog outside for a walk. I knew how much time I should be spending a day with the dog to to train her.
I just don't want to spend 2000 dollars and find out 'man, this requires WAY more time than I have'.
Just my experience;but I'll bet that one year from now, one of two things will have happened. Either you will become so addicted to this hobby that you have re-financed everything you own and taken a 2nd job to support your addiction; or someone will be getting a good deal on all the good stuff you bought and no longer want. You'll have a pretty good idea what is going on when the "work" is no longer work. I hope its the former; this is a fascinating, healthy hobby and a never ending learning experience.Good luck!

m0nk

I'm not sure if anyone mentioned this, I didn't see it noted previously, but the time spent on a tank in the beginning is much more than the time you'll spend on it 6 months in. The reason being is that there are numerous things in the beginning of a tank setup that have to occur, more regular water changes, more frequent glass cleaning (algea blooms can cover your glass in a day), among other things. Your water changes might take longer if you have cyano build-up that needs siphoned, and outbreaks of problem algeas require more frequent water changes and sometimes more drastic solutions. I would say expect to spend a fair amount of time (maybe an average of an hour a day) until the tank is more mature, perhaps around the 6 month mark. Then, if you have a sump, fuge, auto-top off, lighting timers, etc, the tank may just run itself with minimal work each week. Water changes will become much less frequent, glass cleaning will only need to be done every couple of days or weekly, etc.
Oh, certain coral will require maintenance as well, such as weekly or daily spot feeding, depending on what type you go with.
I personally spend about $15 a month on salt, around $3 to $5 per week on RO/DI water ( I don't have an RO unit yet), and about $5 a month on food supplies. I also put in a few hours a week on cleanup and feeding. I don't know about my electric bill, haven't figured that out.

rbaldino

I'd suggest you start with a small tank, maybe one of the cubes, if you're not sure how interested you'll be later on. That will give you an idea of the time/money it takes to run a tank, and you can do the math to figure out what a bigger tank will take if you decide you want to go bigger later on.