upside down turbos!

kvv711

I have a few jumbo turbo snales in a new aquarium, and every once in a while I see one laying on the sand upside down. They seem to have a problem getting upright. After I turn them over, they seem fine and drive away.
My questions
1. How do they get upside down?
2. If I leave them alone, will that die? (nothing in the tank to eat them).
Thanks.

frozenice

Yea, same thing happens in my tank. I dont like putting my hands in the water so i figure ill let em die if they cant turn over. Usually they will move in a couple days and live. I have only lost one.

sagxman

Best thing is to help them out. They many not be able to turn over on their own. There have been similar posts here in the past. Someone said they use the stick from their glass scraper to turn them over so if you don't like getting in the water you can use something like that.
Also, if you ever add crabs, your upside down snails will have less chance of righting themselves. The crabs will have a nice meal though.

T

tizzo

Or you can use the twirly thingy that is on your mini-blinds as a "stick" to flip 'em.

fire30b

I was told that turbos would be able to turn themselve but I have never yet seen one turn itself. I use my fish net it works really good.

cindyski

IME all snails need a little boost when you see one in trouble. the stick or net works fine. sometimes if i knock one off by accident with my mag float, i can even use that to boost it back up:happyfish

belothsurf

Originally posted by kvv711
I have a few jumbo turbo snales in a new aquarium, and every once in a while I see one laying on the sand upside down. They seem to have a problem getting upright. After I turn them over, they seem fine and drive away.
My questions
1. How do they get upside down?
2. If I leave them alone, will that die? (nothing in the tank to eat them).
Thanks.

I'm curious, what do they drive off in?

fshhub

Originally posted by belothsurf
I'm curious, what do they drive off in?

:thinking: turbo charged snail shells