Urchin and Coraline algea....

sultan

I have a black long spine urchin that eats coraline algea. I am going to trade him. Are there any other urchins that don't eat coraline algea?

mudplayerx

I don't know if ALL urchins eat coraline algae, but I do know that we have three types in our tank at school and they all eat the coraline. Theres not one little spot in the whole 500+ gallon tank.

duke13

Almost all urchins will eat coraline algae. It's actually a good thing because they're spreading the coraline spores in the long run. I'd say hold on to the urchin, he isn't doing any harm. When urchins poop, they spread the spores throughout the tank. Assuming you have the adequate calcium and lighting, your coraline will flourish in the long run.

murph145

ehhh i duno bout the poop spreading method...
i had one urchin in my 100 tank with about 140lbs live rock and he ate some serious coraline algae luckily he kinda stayed in a certain zone in my tank but when he came out at night he would munch and i finally had it when he chowed down and ate half the coraline off of one of my nice totally covered live rocks now its slowly recovering....

maxi

Murph, what kind of urchin was that? I have so much coraline it isn't funny. It has encrusted everything. I have a tuxedo urchin, but with 140 gallons of tank to clear, he can't keep up. I would like to have another urchin to help, but I don't know what kind. I have heard some will knock over rock.

sw65galma

the long Spined urchin eats coraline....
I have the same problem...If I wait a while my front glass starts to get covered...I've had to scrape the back of the tank over and over otherwise it will completely cover it's self in coraline..
And I got green coraline which i hear is rare...but it's not rare in my tank,..