urgent help/advice required

apolyom

i had some water overflow the other day (long story) and now my tank stand has swollen (mdf) and thus one corner of my tank has lifted maybe 1-2 mm but enough for me to be concerned SO what i want to know is what can i do to help stop the tank from splitting a seal before i can get a new stand?

cannonman

Take your chances, set up a fan on it and pray, or, dissmantle tank and contents into large tubs and buckets until a new stand can be found.

trainfever

I wouldnt be too concerned but I would replace the stand with a real wood stand as soon as possible. They shouldnt even sell those particle board crap stands, they are an accident waiting to happen. Anyway, go to your local home center or lumber yard and pick up a pack of wood shims and place them under the stand where it has lifted. What happened is that the wood expanded from the water and when it dried, since there was no pressure sqeezing the wood back together, it shrunk and lifted off the ground. Get the shims, buy or build a new stand and you're good to go.

apolyom

Originally Posted by trainfever
I wouldnt be too concerned but I would replace the stand with a real wood stand as soon as possible. They shouldnt even sell those particle board crap stands, they are an accident waiting to happen. Anyway, go to your local home center or lumber yard and pick up a pack of wood shims and place them under the stand where it has lifted. What happened is that the wood expanded from the water and when it dried, since there was no pressure sqeezing the wood back together, it shrunk and lifted off the ground. Get the shims, buy or build a new stand and you're good to go.
nope its firmly seated on the ground. the TANK itself has lifted on one corner as a result of the swelling. leaving one corner of my tank not touching the stand at all
it's a fully stocked 100gal........... sigh

mandarin w

I would get everything out of the tank, and into buckets asap. It presure on the one corner could cause the tank to burst. The problem being you don't know how long you have, But right now you just have to replace the stand. If the tank burst your in big trouble. Especially with your spouse. Just get it emptied as soon as possible.

apolyom

well i have another tank 3x2x1 which i am trying to get cycled so i can put them all in there and to make matters worse my imperator has developed what i think is ich sigh... i can see why people will give up but im not going to.
my fiance actually suggested for me to buy another tank which i am going to do and then eventually get another stand made up for the 100gal. i just wish i could get bigger but being in a rental thats not on a concrete slab (dont worry i put railroad sleepers under the supports) i don't know if i could go much bigger...... especially with a sump adding to the weight.
is there any way i could speed up the cycling? so i can move them on out of there?

apolyom

Originally Posted by mandarin w
I would get everything out of the tank, and into buckets asap. It presure on the one corner could cause the tank to burst. The problem being you don't know how long you have, But right now you just have to replace the stand. If the tank burst your in big trouble. Especially with your spouse. Just get it emptied as soon as possible.
would it be worthwhile placing something under the corner just for extra support? would that help?

trainfever

Originally Posted by apolyom
nope its firmly seated on the ground. the TANK itself has lifted on one corner as a result of the swelling. leaving one corner of my tank not touching the stand at all
it's a fully stocked 100gal........... sigh

I misunderstood you, in that case, I would definitely empty the tank. Get your self as many trashcans or bucket as you can. Dont worry if they are dirty, line them with a new trash bag or two and you will be ok. Then get your self a new stand and put your existing tank on the new stand.

apolyom

the problem is i dont have enough filtration etc for that also not enough heating. i just hope it holds out through the night. it's lifted maybe 1-2mm but still that 1-2mm more than i'd like. i have emptied about 1/3 of the water (thats all my filtration will allow me) so hopefully thats enough till i can sort this out. i am just having no luck with this at all