Urgent question about my fish!

jojo123

My fish is a blue/yellow tail damsel fish and I put it in with a sergent major damsel and another blue/yellow tail damsel. It has stayed at the bottom of the tank under these big chunks of live rock that sort of form a cave. Anyways I put it in yesterday and I added some stress coat because the sergent major was zipping around the tank and breathing fast well it calmed down and is doing fine along with the other blue damsel, but the other won't eat and just stays under the rock I mean he has moved around like switch positions like from where it's mouth was to where it's tail fin was and then back to the same part. I'm worried and I don't know what's wrong so please help and thanks in advance.

j21kickster

what is fine? what about ammonia? nitrites? if you want help you cant be so general about the information you provide

jojo123

the ph is 8.0 which my friend said was fine, and the temperature is about 72 degrees F, while the ammonia is okay to I just not sure what it was exactly but my friend Jeff helped me check it today and he said it was good for my fish so I don't now the numbers for that one. Also the cycle just started pretty much so i'm not sure.

snipe

8.0 is kinda getting low most ppl try to keep there ph around 8.2 to 8.4. The temp is also low most ppl keep theres around 78 to 82 degrees. If the tank is cycling that is your problem the amonia is spiking and burning the fishes gills and "can" kill "damsels" they are hardier than others and ppl use them to cycle the tank "I dont like this but I cant make every quite" and it is not uncommon for them to die in the process.

snipe

when it drops below 8.0 it is cunsidered unsafe but I would still try and bring it up a bit.

jojo123

So jungle ph up is safe for saltwater fish? because it says stuff like it's even safe for angel fish eggs and it also starts talking about other freshwater fish and how its safe for there eggs too.

wax32

pH up chemicals can raise the ph too fast... do water changes with good salt mix and your ph will slowly come up... abrupt changes are worse for your fish than "wrong" pH