Uronema or just scraped/damaged scales? Please help, very worried.

Nroddot

Hi,

I'm a new hobbyist and have only had my system running for a few months now. I added my first few fish a couple days ago (three blue-green chromises)

I don't have a quarantine system yet so I had the fish store quarantine them for me for about two weeks before I added them to my system. I know these images aren't the greatest of quality, but unfortunately it is the best I could do. It seems to lack the red coloration present in uronema sores. The chromises have been nipping and chasing each other a bit. I wonder if this could be from that or it possibly scraped itself on a rock while swimming away from another chromis??

I can say with almost absolute certainty that this wasn't present 24 hours ago. I would have surely seen it. I noticed it this morning shortly after the lights turned on.
Honestly, I don't believe it looks like uronema but I am by no means an expert since I am new to this hobby and am seeking the opinions of more experience hobbyists. The thought of uronema in my new system is a terrifying thought.

Attachments

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Agression, chromis on chromis. Have you noticed them picking? Or a dominate chromis picking on others?

Nroddot

Yes. I've seen them nipping and chasing each other. But there doesn't appear to be a dominant fish just yet or one in particular that is doing the majority of the aggression. Will this stop when a dominant fish is established?

beth

Administrator
Staff member
Not likely to stop. The dominant fish will kill the rest off. Perhaps you can save the others and return them to the shop. If you have a large tank with lots of rock work it could work out but since you're just starting out, then it will likely go badly.

lmforbis

It does look more like aggression to me as well. Multiple chromis is not a good idea unless you have a large tank, even then it can be iffy. They pick each other off until you only have one.
return two if you can. Watch the other closely. i can’t really rule out uronema yet but uronema looks more like a red/purple line with a more defined cut but things don’t always present in the typical way. What ever you do no more fish for at least 4 weeks until you are sure it isn’t uronema.