Use concrete to make rocks in tank??

ecoman

could i simply make my own rocks and put them in the tank after a real good wash down?
such as get some concrete mix or something similar and b4 it dries, add some air bubbles to it and poke holes thru to make it more like rock used for aquariums? wouldnt the algae start to grow on it as well?

crox

I would not suggest doing that. In concrete they are probably chemicals that will harm your fishes.

dme

any way to make your own rocks? would save tons of money
If it was all as easy as that, poeple would been doing it long ago ***)

aw2

Yes, you can use concrete block.
As long as you make sure it's CONCRETE and not CINDER block, you're fine.
I'm trying to find a thread, on another forum, where a guy has used concrete blocks in his 240gal. reef, for YEARS, and has never had a single problem. I believe he cured them, for 2 months, in a container with other live rock.
When I find the thread, I'll post it.

dme

Now I remember on set his large reef tank that the back would go uphill and they did CINDER blocks And this was a good number of years ago.

dme

That is great for I like the looks after a time when it ages in the tank and polyps had already settled on it. Maybe if I was younger and I found this idea, I would had gotten everything that I needed to do something as that for one main thing, I am never in so much a hurry to have everything all as for some people may seem to like it for its the patients in this hobby that pays off at the end