Use of a UV Sterilizer and Brand

cogreywolf

I am in the process of setting up a new tank and am considering adding a quality UV Sterilizer to the setup. My question is will the UV Sterilizer inhibit new coraline algae growth? Secondly, I have heard the only quality UV Sterilizer on the market is made by Tetra. I heard that plastic casing does not break down with exposure to the the UV light, so there are no chances of it leaking.

poiboy

I've had mine for about 10yrs now with no problems. It's a Tropical Marine Centre model 25. My coarline is growing like crazy, just keep in mind that it will kill just about anything that passes through. Make sure water passes at the specified amount and keep alot of supplements on hand.

cogreywolf

Poiboy,
Funny you mention that brand. I just recently bought a Tropical Marine Centre 25W Vecton UV Sterilizer. I was told after I bought it, that this brand was no good. I was told that the plastic breaks down with time, due to the exposure to the UV light. Eventually, the sterilizer will leak. Have you had any of these problems? How often do you change your bulb? What size pump do you run through it? Thank you for responding.
I was thinking of selling it because of these problems. Maybe I should reconsider?

reef fool

I hear the double Helix UV's are top of the line. Plastic that doesn't collect algae or any other buildup abd a PC UV light that spirals for twice as much exposure.

poiboy

Well I had mine a while, no leaks or pvc break down. Maybe they were using better pvc back then??? Anyway, I change the bulb every 7-8 months, I get lazy. The required is every 6. GPH about 450, not sure if it's correct, the LFS told me it should be around that amount. It had no directions when I bought it. I can tell you it works! I left it off for about a month just to see if the corals would change in anyway, no change. Then I got a bad case of ICK, so back on it is and the ICK is gone. It took about a week and half.
Good luck!

marinerock

HEY JC....
A UV STERILIZER IS ....AN ULTRA-VIOLET LIGHT STERILIZER...
IT IS USED TO DO EXACTLY WHAT IT SAYS...
STERILIZE THE WATER....IT KILLS ALOT OF FREE FLOATING
ORGANISMS IN THE WATER WHEN IT PASSES OVER THE
UV LIGHT BULB....GOOD AND BAD ORGANISMS....
REGARDS...
MARINEROCK

S

simm

I believe UV sterilizers are a debatable topic. I have a double helix and have had it for over a year. My tank is very healthy and Iv had no problems yet. Yes a uv will kill good stuff corals need BUT I just add supplements when feeding and turn uv off for a few hours when feeding.

dreeves

Jc...
UV is what was previously mentioned...ultra-violet lighting, natures best sterilizer.
When looking into a UV, a few things need to be considered. The light will destroy all bacteria, most single cell algea, and most parasites. Each item above requires a certain amount of exposure to destroy it...bacteria is the easiest, parasites the toughest. The amount of exposure to the UV radiation is called dwell time. The dwell time and flow rate are the key factors in the destruction of the above 3. A smaller UV light, usually will require a less flow rate to perform as intended. The draw back to a smaller light is the inability to adequately perform for larger tanks. A flow rate of 100gph for a 90 gallon tank isnt that great. The same flow for a 29 or 45 is somewhat adequate.
As for the particular brand...that is a personal choice. Each manufacturer will have their own special gimmick as with all products. As an example...the double helix makes claim to using high tech polymer in their tubing which resists algea build up...algea is killed by the UV so how could it build up to begin with? This is only an example, not a choice preference.
Personally, the bigger the better in the UV lights.

fshhub

debate???
definitely, but I will refrain and jsut say
My opinions is to not use one, and that they are not needed, in fact I feel overrated. So, my reccomendtion for which one would not be very good, I guess.:D