Used Flatworm Exit today on my 210 reef

maury

OK, I took the plunge after watching a few posts here and dosed flatworm Exit in my 210 reef. The tank has many clams, LPS, and SPS, as well as a rose anemone and many fish, crabs, snails and shrimp.
The tank had recently (less than 3 weeks) been contaminated with planaria. They came in on a clam I had added then. They had not really taken hold yet, and I'm guessing at the number of flatworms in the 500 range, not a lot compared to the tank size. They were confined to about a one-foot square area near/on the sandbed where the clam had been placed.
I added slightly higher than the recommended dosing, as I was estimating my circulating volume, including sump at 250 gallons, and a bottle treated 300, so I dosed the whole thing.
I noticed the worms getting significantly agitated within 30 seconds, and dying in droves within 5 minutes. I held off a bit on running the carbon, as I theorized that with such a small population of worms, and a large water volume, that I'd let 'em cook a little longer. I added the carbon at about 20 minutes after dosing. By 30 minutes, all of the flatworms had shriveled up, or had shrunken down and stopped moving. Now, 3 hours after dosing, I can only see a few shriveled up remains of flatworm. I 'think' it got them all. I also did a 50-gallon water change at one hour after dosing, and started running ozone as well as the carbon. The carbon is a complete wall in the sump that all the water is forced through. There is no 'flow-around' the bags.
As far as the livestock goes, there were a few minimal issues. The cerith snails all shrunk back into their shells, and I only see a few moving around right now. I think it might have killed most of them. I also noticed my big (7 inch) deresa clam close up a bit about 45 min into the treatment, but is now, at 3 hours, back open as large as it was before.
And that's it.
The fish didn't even blink. All the corals (about 30 SPS, 15 LPS) a rose anemone, didn't even flinch. I had no closure of any polyps on any corals. I mean NOTHING changed.
We'll see how things are in the next 24-72 hours, but it looks very good so far. From the other folks that have had bad outcomes, I think this relates to a few factors:
1. The load of flatworms. I had a fairly small flatworm to water volume ratio. This led to a lot smaller amount of toxin being released. I do feel that it is the toxin, and NOT the Flatworm Exit itself that leads to problems, as I overdosed with the chemical, and showed no ill effects (so far!).
2. Carbon filtration effectiveness. I did not allow any water to circulate without being filtered by carbon. I think this would help regardless, but I held off on the carbon for a while, as still didn't see any serious side effects in the tank. I'm sure this will play a larger role in those tanks with large flatworm populations with a lot of toxin released at one time.
Again, this is only 3 hours post dosing, but I feel good. I'd read a few posts where folks had stressed fish, and corals closing right after dosing. None of that for me, and I think for the reasons I stated above. I'll keep you all posted, and will gladly answer any questions.

maury

I added Flatworm Exit, as the post title states. And I'm very familiar with all the threads at Reef Central about this product. I feel that those that had problems were those that had a large established flatworm population. Mine wasn't. And, I have one 32 gallon can full of RO/DI, and should have another by the morning, just in case! One step ahead of you! ;)

maury

Well, we're almost 24 hours out, and all the life in the tank looks good. No change whatsoever in the coloring of the sps, and the cerith snails appear to have recovered. The problem is, so have some of the flatworms!! I have noticed about 10 or so that look healthy, and as you know, it only takes one. I am going to watch the tank for a week or so, and see what these do. If they all die (I know, wishful thinking!) then great! If not, I may dose the tank again. My fear, however, is that I may just have selected out a resistant flatworm to Flatworm Exit. We'll see, and I'll let you all know.

maury

BigMac, just make sure his solution doesn't end up damaging or killing your sps colonies. I have read that a rapid freshwater dip of coral colonies will kill any flatworms on them, and just minimally stress the coral. Can someone back this up?