using ocean water

raymond2688

anyone ever used water from the ocean in there tanks....not the mucky colored water at the beach but crystal clear water found off shore. the reason i ask it is soon going to be fishing season and i am offshore every week and would be no problem to bring back a 55 gallon barrel everytime. i ususally go anywhere from 50 to 70 miles out.
any thoughts

beazalbob69

I live in florida and have been using water from a pass that has very strong current. I collect it on an incoming tide so I am getting clean ocean water. I tested this water and it has 0 nitrates and 0 phosphates just have to filter it some to get plant matter out. I would say offshore water is even better! Just make sure you test it really good make sure its clean. The water I get is cleaner than the water in my tank so I am not worried but if you are worried about it then dont take the chance. Its much cheaper and easier for me to collect ocean water but you are taking a chance.

raymond2688

it will be easy since i will be out there all the time. i will say the water is as clear blue as the carribean out that far.

socal57che

Many people in the San Diego area use water from Birch Aquarum at Scripps. They pull it from the end of the Scripps Pier (college) and filter it for their aquarium. They offer it to hobbyists free of charge. I haven't got any lately because of the rain causing poor water quality. We just store it in the dark for a few weeks before use. I have about 10 containers that I cycle. I've had excellent luck with it. If you keep corals, test it to see if you need to add magnesium or calcium. (you should be testing all params anyway since it's coming straight off the ocean)
"How can I get seawater for my aquarium/business?
The seawater tap at the base of the Scripps Pier is open to the public 24 hours a day. The water is sent through sand filters to remove the larger particles. This is the same seawater used by aquarists at the Birch Aquarium at Scripps. The Scripps Pier is located at the end of Discovery Way. Take La Jolla Shores Drive to the Naga Way entrance; turn west onto Naga Way; at the split, turn left to continue on Naga Way; at the stop sign, turn right onto Discovery Way; the pier will be directly in front of you and the tap is to the left of the pier entrance. If you have further questions about the seawater tap, please e-mail the aquarists at Birch Aquarium at Scripps: aquariuminfo@ucsd.edu."
http://sio.ucsd.edu/About/Scripps_Ov...Qs/#question16

imo i think if the parameters are okay you would be fine, also since most of the fish in our tanks come from the wild i would think it would be beneficial to the tank, but then again i dont live near the ocean anymore

well you would think it would, in the wild thats their habit and in the tank we try to recreate that, so imo thats as close to the best as you can get