Using Powerhead to refill Tank during WC

gmann1139

Since I moved my water mixing station into the basement, I'm now carrying the jugs full of SW up and down the stairs when I do a WC.
So I thought I'd look into using a powerhead to push the water up and out of the 5 gallon jug, up and into the tank (3 - 4' above it).
I'm only looking at doing 2 - 5 gallons at a time, so I don't need anything huge, but I do need something that is going to handle that amount of head.
Obviously, I'm looking for something submersible as well.
I was looking at the Maxi-Jet Submersible 400, which I assume is different from the Maxi-Jet 400 PH I have in my tank now. Do folks think that's going to work? I'm probably looking for 1-2 gpm flow in order to not disturb the tank too much.

tank a holic

I have a 35 gallon mixing tub and use a pump to send the water to the tank..
I dont think you'll be able to use an actual powerhead because there's no way to attach a hose to it (I tried)
I have a 600 gph pump and it works great

gmann1139

I've attached 1/2" ID tubing to a Maxi-Jet before... in fact, that's they way the pumps on most Nanos are set up.
Tank, what brand of pump is it?
Maybe this will be a good science experiment. I have a spare MJ400 mixing my water. $5 of tubing from HD or the LFS and I should be able to test the flow of the pump with 4' of head.

tank a holic

I forget what kind, I'll look when I get home
I recommend using a hose clamp so it cant slip off and make a mess
I couldn't get my hose on the maxi jet %%
Im curious if it'll push with the head pressure or not, they aren't built like a pump, more of just a water mover
but what the hey its worth a shot
you said the buckets are in the basement but you still only have to push the water 4 feet to get it to the tank upstairs?

aquaknight

A maxi-jet 1200 might work, I use one in my Brute trashcan, and it's seem to just make it over the lip and down to the sump of my tank. If it really is 4' of straight vertical height, then some more length on the horizontal, I doubt a 400 will be enough, but yea like you said, why not just try.

scsinet

Yeah Maxijets will take a hose easily, but I don't think they will ever lift water that height. I use a maxi with a hose to drain my skimmer body for maintenance and such, it but that's with a 10" head or so and it's still very slow. Those pumps are just not designed to pressurize water, just to "shove it along."
I'd look at the Rio pumps or some cheapo special. For this application you don't need quality, just something that works periodically.
I'm not familiar with Rio's product numbers, but something equivalent to a Mag 2 would probably work great.

dragonzim

A MaxiJet 1200 probably wouldnt do it. I used one for mixing my water and tried to use it with a hose to lift 5 feet up from my mixing tub to the DT and it didnt cut it.

gmann1139

Originally Posted by tank a holic
http:///forum/post/3110961
you said the buckets are in the basement but you still only have to push the water 4 feet to get it to the tank upstairs?
Yes, I'm willing to carry the 5g bucket of water up a flight of stairs and set it on the floor, but I'm too lazy to get it from there into the tank. I realize this is backwards.
The more I thought about it, the less I expect this to work. Turbine pumps have no 'check valve' portion, so the water can flow backwards through the turbine if enough resistance builds up.
It looks like the Rio line is the cheap solution. I'll look into them when I get home.

tank a holic

I looked at my pump today and It doesn't say what kind it is and I lost the box but it was only like 20 bucks at my lfs, it is designed for water fountains