Utilitarian Livestock

mcbdz

Ok, This is what I'm looking for. I want to make a list for my 240gal reef so that it is as self sufficent as possible. So, all you reefers
out there please list your best ideas for must haves in a large reef. I know I will be getting about 6 or so skunk shrimp and some neon gobies for parisite maintance, A foxface for algea control, also tangs. Some type of wrasse to help control bristle worms. Anyone else have any must haves to help maintain a tank?
Any and all suggestions wanted.

mudplayerx

The bristleworms are part of the maintainance crew. Getting a critter specifically to prey on those is self defeating and unnecessary in my opinion.
A well-maintained tank should have healthy fish, which are very unlikely to get parasites due to natural defences such as slime coats.
Algae is also unlikely to be a problem in a well-maintained tank.
If you are looking for a cleaning crew then I recommend hermit crabs, snails, and possibly some shrimp and sand-sifting cucumber.

mcbdz

Originally Posted by mudplayerx
The bristleworms are part of the maintainance crew. Getting a critter specifically to prey on those is self defeating and unnecessary in my opinion.
A well-maintained tank should have healthy fish, which are very unlikely to get parasites due to natural defences such as slime coats.
Algae is also unlikely to be a problem in a well-maintained tank.
If you are looking for a cleaning crew then I recommend hermit crabs, snails, and possibly some shrimp and sand-sifting cucumber.
Agreed

But I have been reading alots of things where at different stages there will be an issue with this or that and would like something that helps maintain. Like an ecosystem you have to have different things that do different stuff. So, what would you put in there to balance it out. I do understand it will take time to mature and balance out. I'm talking about the things we physically add. I don't want to get rid of all bristle worms. I actually like them. I just don't want to endup with a 7 foot one

crimzy

Just so you know, tangs are pretty far from self sufficient. They need regular feedings and can be prone to diseases. Also, tangs and foxface will graze but will not really have a dramatic effect on algae control. Scraping algae is a part of this hobby, regardless of your livestock.