UV Sterilizer - Is it worth it?

fumanchu88

I am considering getting a UV Sterilizer, but have read both pros and cons. Just curious what you all thought. Also, if you have and recommend one, please tell me what brand you use. Thanks.

alix2.0

if i had the cash id buy one! ive spent alot of time and money on my aquarium and keepin my livestock healthy. uv sterilizers kill harmful bacteria which can cause diseases in the tank, so id say its worth it.

al mc

fumanchu....I think they have value and I do use them. However, I would only get one once I was happy with my skimmer, pump, powerheads..etc.
i feel you get the best bang for your buck with skimmers in this hobby.
I use coralife UV's. I have not had a bacterial outbreak in any of my tanks equiped with them of which I am aware.

browniebuck

I, too, used the Coralife UV. I don't use it now because I have heard that they not only kill the harmful bacteria but also the little things that feed my coral (haven't researched this, but I haven't had any problems and...if it ain't broke...).
When first setting up a tank, I would say that they are a great investment!!!

sign guy

I have one of each of the coralife modles and they really keep the water clear more than anything

am00re34

does anyone know the validity of UV Sterilizers killing the food you feed your corals as well as harmful bacteria?
I am also interested in getting one, but dont want it to harm my SPS corals