UV Sterilizer

literati08

Do i need to run my UV 24/7 or how many hours a day or not run it at all .... im starting a reef tank just finish my cycle
and also my lighting i ordered from aquatraders 130w 24inch long ...
my tank is 40g stretch hex 30 1/2 - 18 1/2 - 21 1/2
my bedsand is like 3inches
thank you

dreeves

You should reconsider using the UV with a reef...the UV will kill beneficial organisms your reef could use...

cowfishrule

i have the same lights that you just ordered, and i got mine yesterday... they rock. only thing is that the fans are slightly noisy

acrylic51

Originally posted by dreeves
You should reconsider using the UV with a reef...the UV will kill beneficial organisms your reef could use...

That statement made hasn't been actually confirmed. There are alot of big reefs being run with UV and have seen nill side affects, so the theory that they kill good is off basis. And if your answer was UV kills good what would ozone do as well to a reef tank???

mkcsil18

so UV can be kept? I just started a 70 gallon and I am about 1 week into the cycle, and I have a UV light, I plan on making it a reef tank..... :notsure:

acrylic51

Yes UV can be kept, because again there isn't a clear precise answer that UV kills all. I probably wouldn't run a UV 24/7 but from time to time you might. I really don't see a need to run a UV though... What is your reasoning for running a UV on a reef tank???? Again the same issues or reasonings about Ozone has been raised on reef tanks and again no concrete evidence to prove they do harm to the tank

mkcsil18

to be honest I have no clue I was talking with someone and they suggest it, I was just setting up the tank so I figured I would do it right away.... but now I am thinking I could have spent that 120.00 on something else.. :D
I have a 70 Gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump/fuge.

tony detroit

I run UV and Ozone on my reef and have growth and color that can compete with anybody else.
I also have a cleaner tank than most people I know.
JMO/JME
I've ran with and without. I wouldn't go back to running without again.
Steveweast runs UV and Ozone on his reef FYI.

literati08

Thanks for the info guys. i will probably run put a timer on my UV and run it for 4hrs a day ..... Thank you
i just got my lights here is my tank now

thangbom

im my opinion.. i think uv light are good for any tank... i mean.. if they kill off bad stuff like parasite and what not...... they hey .. y not use them.. they keep your tank stable and clear... many say it's no good but i say they are...just take steve weast for example.. he has a killer 850 gal reef!!! i mean killer!!!!!!! and he uses a 200 watt uv in his set-up.. soo .....

mudplayerx

Filter feeders will starve in tanks utilizing UV filters unless you supplement them with targetted feeding while turning all the water flow off. Many people find this too demanding timewise.

timo

Originally posted by mudplayerx
Filter feeders will starve in tanks utilizing UV filters unless you supplement them with targetted feeding while turning all the water flow off. Many people find this too demanding timewise.

How do I say this...Wrong!
Come on, man, that completely unsubstantiated talk has the ability to be repeated by those that don't know any better and soon the general talk is "UV is bad".
There are too many junior scientists out there making wide scientific generalizations based only on one observation.
There seems to be alot of very wrong beliefs about UV as a whole.
Not picking on you specifically.

mudplayerx

This is an actual excerpt from a UV sterilizer box:
Rainbow Lifeguard UV Sterilizers kill over 99% of waterborne, disease-causing microbes in just the first pass. UV Sterilizers also kill free floating bacteria, protozoans, algae, virus, and mold for safer and cleaner aquarium water.
How do you suppose a clam gets the needed microbes for its diet with such a claim as the one above.
edit- i meant scallop, not clam :)

mudplayerx

You may be correct TimO, as I have having difficulty finding sources to back up my theory on the internet. However, I do have a fascinating article in Aquarium Fish Magazine that snubs UV sterilization in Berlin Style tanks.

tony detroit

Originally posted by mudplayerx
edit- i meant scallop, not clam :)

Scallops die. Always. Never sustain one for more than a year or so.

acrylic51

Like I stated earlier and what Timo and Tony reiterated that the information about UV being bad is !!??!!!! Nothing substantial to back it up. You can check out tons of tanks running UV and ozone and no ill affects!!!!!! Thanks guys!!!!