UV Sterilizer

timo

Originally posted by mudplayerx
This is an actual excerpt from a UV sterilizer box

All types of boxes will make claims based on common lore to sell it's contents. The effects of typical UV use won't kill your clams, won't wither filter feeders, and won't make your in-laws move out.
What I'm saying is that specific organisms are effected by UV and some aren't.
If UV eliminated reckless algae in the home aquarium, everybody and their cousin's sister would be running it and the well of "help, hair algae" threads would dry up.
Hate to burst your bubble(algae) but this one is a no-brainer.
Tim

timo

Originally posted by dreeves
You should reconsider using the UV with a reef...the UV will kill beneficial organisms your reef could use...

Sorry again.
One can run these suckers from the get-go with absolutely zero effects on any
beneficial bacteria.
If it needs re-iterating, de-nitrifying bacteria reside on media... rock, sand, glass, filter floss, carbon... and so on. . . While they may be found in the water column, their action is elsewhere.
Cleansing water siphoned from the tank is by no means tapping on their turf. Just think, the combined surface area of the sand in a typical 55g tank is something like three football fields...?
Don't be alarmed. UV is misunderstood on SWF.com... too many sounding horns for a few misguided theories.

timo

You may be correct TimO, as I have having difficulty finding sources to back up my theory on the internet. However, I do have a fascinating article in Aquarium Fish Magazine that snubs UV sterilization in Berlin Style tanks.

Again, one tank does not a proof make.

timo

Originally posted by acrylic51
Yes UV can be kept, because again there isn't a clear precise answer that UV kills all. I probably wouldn't run a UV 24/7 but from time to time you might. I really don't see a need to run a UV though... What is your reasoning for running a UV on a reef tank???? Again the same issues or reasonings about Ozone has been raised on reef tanks and again no concrete evidence to prove they do harm to the tank

Running UV on a reef keeps down various bacteria, which is
water-borne in various stages, that can attack both fish and corals, soft and hard. Remember, corals and fish imported into the US come in thru limited channels, and if a contaminate happens, it spreads across the nation rapidly.Most hobbiests live happily with several pathogens without even knowing it. Most of these people use UV. As the problem takes to the water, looking for a host, UV snubs it. Bacteria can remain in the tank presumably forever, even in a sterilized tank. The variable is, Do I get it's effects?

acrylic51

Originally posted by TimO
Running UV on a reef keeps down various bacteria, which is
water-borne in various stages, that can attack both fish and corals, soft and hard. Remember, corals and fish imported into the US come in thru limited channels, and if a contaminate happens, it spreads across the nation rapidly.Most hobbiests live happily with several pathogens without even knowing it. Most of these people use UV. As the problem takes to the water, looking for a host, UV snubs it. Bacteria can remain in the tank presumably forever, even in a sterilized tank. The variable is, Do I get it's effects?

Again Timo don't disagree with you on the topic but the point is there is no sure fire way to kill all pathogens and not even UV is 100% it has to be run properly as well, and the original thread doesn't even note the real reason or intention of why he was told he needed it. I agree there is a misconception of things run on tanks

dreeves

UV will destroy most organisms coming in contact with it...duration, radiation intensity and so on will determine the ultimate death factor of each type of organism...
UV's are not designed (that I am aware of) to completely remove all pathogens and other unwanted organisms from the water column...they simply cannot due to the percentage of water which actually passes through the UV chamber and the percentage that doesn't at any given time.
In tanks or settings in which UV is used...one "germ" killed is one less to worry about...even though you will not kill all unwanted organisms in the column...the ones you do the better.
A UV will kill phytoplankton and other free floating algeas in the water column...many reef inhabitants use these as nutrients to survive.
I dont believe I miss represented any information by making my statement above...the usage of a sterilizer and an ozone generator (as exampled above) are a personal prefernece issue. Some people have luck and swear by them, some dont.

acrylic51

You should reconsider using the UV with a reef...the UV will kill beneficial organisms your reef could use...

You kinda counterdicted your statements... This statement here states it will kill beneficial elements, and your last post states will not kill everything... Again I don't think there is enough proof out there to prove they are harmfull to the tanks and again there are alot of tanks that run both ozone and uv and have no ill affects

tony detroit

A UV will kill phytoplankton and other free floating algeas in the water column...many reef inhabitants use these as nutrients to survive.

While I'm sure it has some effect, for the most part the people I know that dose phyto probably don't need to.
Everything your corals need to thrive, providing you have good light is in the tank already IMO.
There is an overabundance of food in the water for the filterfeeders to eat . My livestock gets what comes from the fish food, which I rinse, that's it.
All the people I know that won't run UV are usually people too cheap to buy it. So instead of rationalizing that maybe they do have benefits, they try to make themselves feel better and convince everybody they're going to starve their tank if they add one.
JMO/JME
tony

dreeves

Agreed Tony Detroit...I bought one...didnt notice anything different in water quality and set it aside...
There is no contradiction in either of my statements...killing things that could be beneficial to your reef is not implying the UV will kill everything beneficial to your reef...
UV's have a few issue of importance to work...more notably is the dwell time...the time an organism is exposed to the radiation...the longer the dwell time...the more organism are destroyed....now with that in mind...to be 100% effective...the entire column of water would have to flow through the UV at such a slow rate as to kill everything within the water...all of this would have to occur at one time, prior to any of the water being returned to the tank to be re-contaminated with organisms still in the tank...
UV's are by no means harmful to any tank...we supplement our animals diet everyday to provide what they are not getting in the water column...most hobbysts goals are to replicate nature and provide the most natural setting for the tank creatures...so killing off some of the free floating organisms within the column contradicts that goal as it is the potential of a natural food source.
Many people will buy a sterilizer in hopes it will rid their tanks of problems...some will buy them as a precuationary tool...
Either way..it is a personal choice...

mudplayerx

TimO, you keep mentioning bubble alage, hair algae, etc. We are talking about free-floating algae, which the UV sterilizer does indeed kill. If you don't agree with this, then you are simply arguing against established fact.

thangbom

ohhh gosh!! look what this trend has done!!!!!! it strarted a war.. almost like the "to protein skimm or not to skimm'' nooo not another un-salvable question!!!!

timo

TimO, you keep mentioning bubble alage, hair algae, etc. We are talking about free-floating algae, which the UV sterilizer does indeed kill. If you don't agree with this, then you are simply arguing against established fact.

Algae dosen't have legs.
Think about it.
This, in my opinion, is a great thread. I agree with everyone's thoughts on this to some degree or another, and I have respect for you all.
Many very beautiful and long-living aquariums have never seen UV.
And if I may ever argue against establised facts, remember that the world used to be flat.
TimO

sharc

uv imo is the way to go after 2 battles with ich 18 months ago i started using my uv 247 had no more ich and still all my livestack is doing well i even have a flemed scallop almost 2.5 yrs old.
imoime use the uv just keep an eye out that your livestock remains healthy if problem starts to occure cut back on the amount of time the uv is on

maeistero

i just use tinted glass covers (uv protected of course) and if there's a problem (hasn't occurred yet) i'll point my uv rays at it.

actually my opinion is that these devices are for people who want to spend every waking penny on saying they have something you don't have. they're obviously not needed although they might help with some situations where people would rather buy than waterchange, test or be generally involved. 'nuff said.:jumping:

flatzboy

Dang the debate on uv sterilizers is pretty similar to the one zeo.. lol... I can some some stuff up for people..... The only people that don't like uv sterilizers are 99% of the time people who have never used one and like tonyd said are to cheap to buy one... Everyone I've talked to that has run uv will never go back to not having one and some of them think its a must when they set up a REEF TANK.:D

mudplayerx

Originally posted by FLATZBOY
Dang the debate on uv sterilizers is pretty similar to the one zeo.. lol... I can some some stuff up for people..... The only people that don't like uv sterilizers are 99% of the time people who have never used one and like tonyd said are to cheap to buy one... Everyone I've talked to that has run uv will never go back to not having one and some of them think its a must when they set up a REEF TANK.:D

I think its pretty silly to label anyone in this hobby "too cheap to buy something." LOL I've spent more on my tank this year so far than I have on my self and my car combined...and I still don't have a UV sterilizer. :D