UV sterilizer

killyah

i was just wondering if this would work? i have a pond uv sterilizer sitting around and i was thinking why not use it in my 125gal salt tank to prevent illness! would this work? and is there a diffrence between the saltwater and fresh water UV's?? i have a Laguna, 1800 Power Clear , 16 watt uv sterilizer. :confused:

beth

Administrator
Staff member
16 watt is too small for your size tank. IMO the UV does pretty good a 1 line of defense with fish diseases. That doesn't mean that it will cure an actual disease process that is going on, however. Also, they should only be used in FO tanks.

hnf2k

16 watt too small in a 125?!? i have a 9 watt in my 180. and it says it's rated for up to 150 gallons of water, which i dont even have.

killyah

thx for the fast reply Beth!:) so the pond uv would work then! all i need is a 25 watt uv now. is there anything call uv over kill? i was thinking, what about i put in another pond uv thats 16 watts.that brings me to a total of 32 watts,would that be bad? cause i have another one just sitting around..

hnf2k

cow is doing fine. eating and everything. im just a little nervous about him attacking my hermits. he is fine with them now, but he hangs over them like a halo. they will walk the tank and he will swim right on top of them. every now and then he will go down and touch their shell but never goto the front of them and they dont seem to be afraid of him. he does the same thing to rock though. it seems like he picks up some sand and then spits it out. but he definetly has taken a liking to them. so when he gets bigger he may have to go back. what do you think?

hnf2k

what about the hermits? he has never looked at the snails, but he does look at the hermits.