UV sterilizers

kadiya

Hi I just have a quick question on the UV sterilizers. I've heard that they're great at preventing ick. I'm still slowly gathering what I need to start up my 55g tank. I was wondering if I should get one and also I think I heard not to use it right away and let the tank cycle first, is this true? Also would using the sterilizer affect the good bacteria and buggies in a negative way? Thanks, any responses are much appreciated.

dogstar

Many people have differing thoughts on UV. Personally I think they help more than hurt. For new tanks IMO its best not to run one untill after cycle so bacteria can spred and after a cleanup crew and a few first hardy fish and then add one only after you have spent money on other more needed equipment like a good skimmer and filters, ect. For the more delicate fish such as tangs or angles you should have one running a while fisrt. Of course always QT if possible.
A UV does not remove good bacteria anymore than a skimmer does and most is on sufaces instead of in the water columne and can reproduce faster anyway if the tank is pretty well estabished.
As far as ICK. It has a cycle of living on a surface and then in the water so a UV can attack it when in the free swimming stage and help to weaken it so a new fish has a better chance at surviving, UV may not compleatly kill ick but a healthier QTed fish against a weakened ick or other parasites stands a better chance.
JMO

intosw

I ALSO Am Cycling My Tank With My Uv On Is This Ok? And Also I Have It Hooked Up To A Rio 1200 Pump In My Sump Tank, Through 3/4" Tubing Then Returned Back To The Sump Tank Should I Have It Go Back To The Tank Or Is This Ok, I Will Be Adding A Chiller Unit In Line After It As Well, Its On Its Way.

intosw

Sorry But One More Q, I Am Also Running A Protien Skimmer During Cycle Stage Is This Ok

pacino

sounds like you both are on the right track in my opinion. i have a similar set up, in my 80 gal, as far as running into my sump, except i dont have a chiller yet. UV wont kill ich, but it will help with unwanted algae growth, and help keep the water quality good, which will help fish fight off any potential ich. i have always gone by the "there is no such thing as to much filtration". so i think you both will be alright.

lepete

UV helps. However, it is minimal. Plus, it is yet another equipment one has to do monthly maintance. For me, the cost (time & money) exceeds the benefit.
Running skimmer is recommended during the cycling process. Your cycle will be shorter.

kadiya

Wow thanks for all the replies guys, I really appreciate it! :) I had heard to not run your skimmer in the beginning when you cycle. Well that is good to know then. I guess I will run it after all. Thanks again!

ktsdad

Dogstar makes some very good points.
Here are some more aspects of UV to pay attention to.
The wattage of the bulb is important. Get one that is rated bigger than your tank.
The flow rate is really important. Make sure you read the specs on the UV you select carefully and get a pump that is rated (gph) for that specification.
If the water is flowing to fast, the UV isn't doing any good.
Think of it like cooking, if you don't leave your food on the fire long enough it doesn't cook.
Just my .02$
Good Luck!

merredeth

UVs are debatable, and there are good arguments for them and against them. In a fish only tank, I think think they are GREAT. However when you get into corals, ScubaDoo can give some good arguments as to why you should reconsider them.
Personally, I believe in UV sterilizers but they don't really prevent ich, they help by splitting the DNA of existing ich in your tank, thus the population is reduced.
When you are dealing with ocean life, you run the potential of introducing ich each time you put a fish in the tank, which is why you should QT all fish.
The important thing to remember is to get a UV that is rated higher than your tank requirements and to get the slowest Maxi-Jet you can find so the water has ample time to be exposed to the light. Too much water flow and you are basically just burning electricity.
I purchased one for each of my tanks after my first ich outbreak and haven't had problems since.
Another new tank is being prepared and I'll be using another UV myself.

Denise M.