Vacation Feeding Question

raptor72

I'll be going on vacation soon and was wondering if an automatic feeder would do the job while I'm gone. I usually feed my fish twice a day, frozen in the morning and flakes in the evening. Would they be alright with just flakes and pellets for two weeks? I have a neighbor who is willing to come over and feed them but I would rather not leave anyone a key to my house.

mr. limpid

First off two vacation must be nice, I'm jealous. Two weeks of feeding flakes and pellets will get them by. My concern is that something will fail during that time and no one will be around to tend to it. Also you will probably need some one to top of your tank unless you have auto top off.

raptor72

I have been setting up a 20 gal brute can as an ATO when I leave out of town and it's worked just fine. From what I'm noticing, the amount of top off is no where as drastic as it was in the summer. I just want to make sure I have all my bases covered beforehand. I'll be doing a small water change tomorrow and then a bigger one before I leave. I'm also cleaning out the pumps and skimmer to make sure they're in top working condition.

bang guy

If you don't have any small planktivores (Anthias, etc.), then they'll be fine for a couple weeks without food.