vacation problems.

antwon

i am going on vacation next week and it will be the first time i am leaving my fishtank alone for a week. im running an overflow box w sump and i fluval 404. i hav to put more water in my tank everyday due to evaporation or else the water in the sump will get too low and the overflow will lose suction. As a result to this, the water in my tank starts to rise. MY question: can i run my tank on just the fluval for the week because i plan on changing my water when i get back anyway.

novahobbies

I have to go out of town a lot, so I know how you feel here. First of all, yes I suppose you could just run the fluval. I'm assuming of course that this is fully separate from the sump. You may need some additional current in your tank to make up for the lost pressure the sump return pump provided. BTW, what's in the sump? If there's going to be standing water in the sump for the week, you should REALLY consider putting a powerhead down there for the time being to keep things mixed and moving. If you have bioballs, make sure they don't dry out - if they do, it may kill a lot of bacteria, and create a potential deathtrap when you get back from all the ammonia.
Instead of shutting the sump down, is there a kid in the neighborhood that you trust to come in and do basic maintenance while you're gone? You sound like you know how much your sump is evaporating; you could pre-measure the daily topoff water into gallon jugs and set them out for the kid to add. While he's there he could swipe the glass, etc.... most kids would be happy to do this for a little $$, and it may even inspire someone to try the hobby themselves.

acrylic51

Agree about getting someone responsible to look after the tank.....Whenever I set up any setup(tank) I always make it a point to mark my sump with a HI & LOW level.....With that said, if someone does have to add water when it's low, it's clearly marked on the sump where exactly they need to fill the sump too.....I wouldn't shut the sump down personally....How much are you evaporating daily? Is the house air conditioned as well?

ibanez

You may end up with water quality problems if you cut off all the good bacteria in your sump, it depends where most of your conversion is taking place. I would overnight an auto top off system or find someone to watch the tank.