Vacation troubles

antwon

Hello. I'm going on vacation soon for a week but don't know what to do with my tank. I have gone away before, but that was when I had a fluval and wet/dry, so I shut the wet/dry and just left the fluval running so water wouldn't have to be added. However, I got rid of my fluval and bought a new wet/dry. I live in a warm climate so I have to add water to my tank everyday. I have a friend that can put water in my tank only one day of the week I am gone, and I'm sure that water will evaporate quickly and my pump will start sucking in air. Any suggestions on what to do?

garnet13aj

Seal it off temporarily with cling wrap or something. Leave a bit of air ventilation for oxygen flow but decrease the amount of area that if available for evaporation. Also, add a bit more fresh water than usual before you leave...Not enough to change the salinity significantly but as much as possible without doing this. Just some ideas.

flower

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnet13aj http:///forum/thread/386797/vacation-troubles#post_3405268
Seal it off temporarily with cling wrap or something. Leave a bit of air ventilation for oxygen flow but decrease the amount of area that if available for evaporation. Also, add a bit more fresh water than usual before you leave...Not enough to change the salinity significantly but as much as possible without doing this. Just some ideas.
I'm sorry to have to disagree but this is not a good plan.
You can make an easy auto top off. You spend so much on your fish tank...no way would I take any chances.