valentini puffer and algae eating inverts

anthropo

i got rid of my big tank and now alls i have is my 30 gallon tank. well i consolidated and now i've got my valentini in my 30gal. he ate all my turbo snails and the algae is building in the tank now. the only thing that he couldn't eat or doesn't want is my cowrie and my shrimp. he likes to nip at some of the corals but thats fine with me cause the corals i have grow too fast. what kind of inverts can i get that are good at getting rid of algae besides the cowrie that can survive with a valentini? i can't get anymore fish either, i am at max load.

srfisher17

Originally Posted by anthropo
http:///forum/post/2727574
i got rid of my big tank and now alls i have is my 30 gallon tank. well i consolidated and now i've got my valentini in my 30gal. he ate all my turbo snails and the algae is building in the tank now. the only thing that he couldn't eat or doesn't want is my cowrie and my shrimp. he likes to nip at some of the corals but thats fine with me cause the corals i have grow too fast. what kind of inverts can i get that are good at getting rid of algae besides the cowrie that can survive with a valentini? i can't get anymore fish either, i am at max load.
Puffers eat inverts; he'll probably get at the shrimp's legs too. I'd get rid of the puffer if you want to keep inverts, they just don't belong together.

anthropo

this one isn't interested in shrimps or crabs. if he's interested in eating them he usually picks at them until they're dead. he doesn't even pay attention to the shrimps or crabs i have and they've been together for about a year

shinobi9119

how big is this puffer, I usually hear that valentini puffers are some of the few puffers who can be with inverts.
Did he do this in your larger tank?

J

jbracing

u could trie an urchin of some kind i got a long spine in with my porcupine puffer but they will eat coraline and not shure of corals

aquaknight

I really don't understand why most people 'feed the need' for an algae eating crew. You're (not singling anyone out, saying in general) more then perfectly capable of maintaining a tank without them. What's even more amazing is people actually get rid of fish they like, over the inverts.

Something is causing the algae. Too high a load, unskimming, etc. What type of algae is it? Bump up skimming (skim wetter), use RO/DI water instead of tap, increase/or add a refugium/add more macro algae, increase size and frequency of water changes, and increase flow to trouble areas.
Granted, you're going to have to some maintain, scrap the glass and siphon algae spots occasionally. My 125 has little to no inverts. Just 2 XL turbos that do nothing but post up on my Wave2k. Thanks to my Hawaiian Puffer which surprising loves meaty treats, and I have very little maintenance.

anthropo

Originally Posted by Shinobi9119
http:///forum/post/2729053
how big is this puffer, I usually hear that valentini puffers are some of the few puffers who can be with inverts.
Did he do this in your larger tank?
well i didn't have snails in the large tank...just a ton of hermits, but i'm tryin to stay away from hermits cause they beat each other up and kill each other all the time. the puffer is about 2 inches long.

anthropo

Originally Posted by AquaKnight
http:///forum/post/2729072
I really don't understand why most people 'feed the need' for an algae eating crew. You're (not singling anyone out, saying in general) more then perfectly capable of maintaining a tank without them. What's even more amazing is people actually get rid of fish they like, over the inverts.

Something is causing the algae. Too high a load, unskimming, etc. What type of algae is it? Bump up skimming (skim wetter), use RO/DI water instead of tap, increase/or add a refugium/add more macro algae, increase size and frequency of water changes, and increase flow to trouble areas.
Granted, you're going to have to some maintain, scrap the glass and siphon algae spots occasionally. My 125 has little to no inverts. Just 2 XL turbos that do nothing but post up on my Wave2k. Thanks to my Hawaiian Puffer which surprising loves meaty treats, and I have very little maintenance.
well my water quality is perfect but i am using tap. i've always used tap. i know it has phosphates in it but i havn't lost anything in my reef tank yet and it's been running for 4 years. also i havn't had a problem with algae until he started munchin on my turbo's hah. i had 5 and he knocked off one a month. I have 2 big filters, one being a aquaclear and the other is an emperor. i don't skim but i do a small water change a week to make up for it. i'm not planning on getting rid of the puffer, i like the guy. he even helps he keep one of my corals trimmed back. the algae is green algae. i just need to know what inverts are good at eatin algae and won't get attacked by my puffer.