Valentini Puffer eats small fish???

puddleglum

I was talking to one of my LFS and he said that Valentini Puffers will eat Firefish Gobies and that they were "nasty things". True? I was thinking of keeping it with a O. Clownfish, Coral Beauty, and Six-Line Wrasse or Firefish in a 29g.
Thanks.
Puddleglum

pamplona

I have both a firefish goby and a valentini puffer in my tank...the puffer went in 1st months before the goby...no problem with the puffer messing with the goby...they arent much different in size...the goby is longer than the puffer but the puffer is much fatter...i dont see why it would be a problem

pamplona

I actually love my puffer he's the friendliest in the tank...always swims to the front of the tank when i come by...prob b/c he knows to get food...i also have clowns, damsels, blennies in the tank and not 1 prob with the valentini

mitzel

Your valentine puffer is not going to be aggresive to many things. The exception being other similar puffers. I have a V. puffer in my tank and while he is very curious and nips at inverts he has never gone after my blenny ,gobby ,dragonet or clowns. I think your lfs might be confused as the larger dog faces will be a bit more aggressive and eat inverts . My dog face even takes silver sides. But for the most part puffers are friendly and peaceful.
Some puffers have been known to nip at the fins of bottom dwelling fish such as sharks and rays as well as at the fins of lions.