Venting about LFS purchase

shoreliner11

I don't buy stuff at full price often because I use to work at a lfs. So when I decide to go and buy something its a pretty big deal (especially b/c I'm a college student with not a whole lot of $). I deciding to go buy a purple firefish for $30 which is a farely reasonable price. I drip acclimated the guy for an hour, and he was in the tank for no more than 30 min. and he was already dead. I called the lfs and he told me they don't guarantee their fish and that he suspected it might have something to do with stray voltage. I don't claim to be an expert but I have been in the hobby over 3 years and I like to think I know to a good extent what I'm doing. I've acclimated many fish the same way and haven't had anything similar to this yet. I didn't rant on the phone but to say that a small amount of stray voltage (only 2 powerheads in tank) and no problems this far with stray voltage, is almost like just trying to shut me up. He said, you can fix it easily, by just buying one for $15. Can you say upsell? Its a little annoying is all. So there went $30 down the drain in a half hour....yay. Anyway, I feel better now, thanks for reading.
Aaron
P.S. reassures me why I like inverts/corals better than fish.

promisetbg

Do you use a refractometer or hydrometer?
I have found hydrometers to be a piece of junk which get worse with time.I also found that new things were dieing,and could'nt figure out why.Then I tested with a refractometer,my SG was 1.030 :scared:
It explains why everything in the tank had become used to it,but new things were not making it much after acclimation.I cannot believe I invested so much money,and passion into this,and relied on a hydrometer for so long.
Just a thought.

shoreliner11

I actually don't use a refractometer. I know, I know. Maybe this weekend I'll get it tested with a refractometer just to double check. I'm pretty sure thats not the problem because I do bi-weekly 10% water changes with pre-mixed saltwater at 1.023-1.024(just cause I get the stuff for free). But I'll check anyhow.
Aaron