VERY FRUSTRATED!!!!

paisley

I've tested my water -- it's perfect. My fish are fine, my snails are fine, even my moon coral is still alive --although I think it's shrinking (which I thought was the most difficult to keep alive out of the things I had), but my anemone, star polyps, clover polyps, and coral banded shrimp have all died. They were fine for about 4 months, then all of a sudden the polyps stopped coming out one day, and two weeks later the shrimp died. It's quite frustrating, because I spent about $600 on tank equipment (new filter, protein skimmer, more lighting), chemicals to keep good water quality (Coral-Vite, Essential Element, Calcium, etc.), and live rock when I decided to change from an all fish tank (which I did well with for about a year and a half) to a reef tank. I was quite happy and excited for about 4 months, while making a new addition approximately once a month to my new "reef tank". My wife was even complaining about me spending so much time working with the aquarium, because I wanted to make sure everything was absolutely perfect. Then, all of a sudden, my anemone died (which I removed immediately and did a water change - water was fine), three weeks later all my polyps disappeared; and my shrimp died less than two weeks after that. Now I look at my tank and there's nothing in it besides one shrinking piece of coral, some rock, some snails, and four small fish. If I hadn't already spent over $2000 on this tank in the last 3 years (that's not even counting what I spent on livestock!) -- I'd probably give up!! But I love my tank, and it is SOOOOO COOL when everything is doing fine!! I just can't see what the problem is, especially after putting all this time and money into it. I keep the water perfect, do 10% water changes every 2 weeks. There's nothing mentioned on this site that I can find that I do or don't do which would be a reason for my problems. Anyways, I'm rambling. Sorry this is so long, but I need to vent. My wife doesn't want to hear me complain -- she's already more than willing to sell the aquarium after "getting so little in return for all our money and time put into it" (how many times have I heard that!!!). But I want to keep it and be successful with it. I don't know what else you can tell me that's not already on this site, but any advice is greatly appreciated. If anybody out there has this same problem, please respond so I know I'm not the only one cursed with this unexplainable bad luck. Thanks.

chuck

Sorry to hear the bad news, but for anyone to help we need specifics. What test are you running and what are the detectable level for each one. Do you use purified water? How much live rock do you have and how often do you feed your fish? What kind of substrate do you have? Also did you have any kind of fish (puffers, mandarin, box fish) that may have died and released toxins in the water? Nudibranchs and sea cucumbers? They have toxins too. Sorry to ask you so many questions but there has to be something that you are missing, just trying to help.

trigga

I have killed LOTS of fish. 4 Angels (2 Flames, Coral Beaty and a Bi-Color), 3 Tangs, 7 Royal Grammas/Dottybacks, 2 Firefish, 3 clown fish 2 Huma Tiggers 5 cleaner shrimp and even 4 damels all in the last 8 months are so. So I know a LOT about fatalities. About 2 to 3 months ago a bought a Marron, 2 more Firefish and a Potter's Angel (I found out after I bought it it was hard to keep) and they are all doing fine now. Sometimes things just die. I would just buy more fish till you get some that live. If you think about it livestock is just a small investment compared to the rest of your tank.
Good Luck!

kris

The "livestock" is the whole reason I invest so much time and money, I personally don't want to watch my expensive equipment and beautiful tank without the fish. Loosing that many fish would indicate a big problem to me. And I don't think anyone should view their livestock as merely disposable, or take the "easy come, easy go" attitude.
Also, paisley, you didn't mention anything about the lighting you are using--Just a though seeing as it is just the corals you are loosing.
[This message has been edited by Kris (edited 04-13-2000).]

beth

Administrator
Staff member
You need to give specifics about what your water quality is. Ammonia, Nitrite, Nitrate, PH, Phosophates? Also, what lights are you using, what output in each light and for how many hours each day? Also, size and dimentions or your tank...is it tall or long? Water surface area? Inverts that you have / had in your system must have excellent and stable water environmental conditions. What type water ciculation are you providing for your corals? Were you offerring them additives when they started to "fade". ETC.