very frustrated

sparkee61

75 gal tank has been up and going for 4 months.Parameters are excellent. 12 corals are healthy and growing.I have lost 6 fish in past 3 weeks.Wake up one morning...and another one gone.I had :
2 clowns
3 green damsels
1 yellow memic tang
5 pajama cardinals
2 cleaner shrimp
1 bristle starfish black
4 turbo snails
down to 1 damsel,1 mimic,1 pj card,2 shrimp,1 starfish,and snails.
The remaining fish swim mostly one side of tank.My store says there is probably a predator and that I would have to tear down tank to find. I have spent sooo much time making the tank look awesome..now this.Any thoughts would be appreciated.
signed, pissed off in Indiana

smork81

First off you need to post all the water parameters you test for. That will let everyone know what your definition of "fine" means and would help alot for anyone who wants to help you figure this out.
-nika

adairable

I am so sorry to hear of your losses! I have no advice but I just wanted to tell you I am going through the same thing and I feel your pain....all my fish die but the inverts are all ok and parameters are excellent.....AHHHHH Its so frustrating!!!!

myreef05

Originally Posted by sparkee61
ph 8.3
nitrates 0
nitrites 0
salinity 1.025
temp.78
What about the important one?; AMMONIA
Any amount of ammonia can be deadly.
I believe you added way to much, way to fast. Just my honest opinion.

smork81

Originally Posted by myreef05
I believe you added way to much, way to fast. Just my honest opinion.
I agree with you 100% here. Just didn't want to start out the post with a negative comment.

sparkee61

Ammonia 0,
Why do you say that I started out with too many fish? If the perameters are fine what difference does it make when you place fish in aquarium?

watson3

Originally Posted by sparkee61
Ammonia 0,
Why do you say that I started out with wat too many fish? If the perameters are fine what difference does it make when you place fish in aquarium?
Because that is a lot of poop and a little bacteria/cleanup process

rbaldino

Do the fish show any signs of being sick or stressed before they die, or are they fine until you find them dead? As far as predators go, try watching the tank at night to see if anything comes out or if something you already know about is doing the damage. This is best done wiith a red flashlight. If you do spot something, maybe you can trap it or add something that will take care of it for you.

dogstar

The levels indicate that the biological filtration is fine. If they were the same with all the fish earlier....those are mostly small fish..But still would not recomend adding so many so fast.
I would agree with the possibility of a predetor if you have seen any dead or still liveing fish that showed signs of this like damage or injury. I would most likely say its more of a disease or parasite though.

watson3

Originally Posted by Dogstar
The levels indicate that the biological filtration is fine.
Yeah..Now that they have all died

sparkee61

I don't find any dead fish. They're just gone...poof...disappeared.If those fish caused so much poop, why weren't the nitrates or ammonia high?I have checked these readings in a weekly regiment.
I will get the flashlight out tonight and see if I can find the monster of the deep.
Thanks for everyone's advice.

gmidd

Its possible you might have introduced a disease. I'm assuming at the rate of adding one new fish every week (?) you didn't quarantined them. Altough a hitchhiker yet to be found might be the problem as you stated

smork81

If you find any monster's of the deep please do not kill it, flush or any other method of killing it. I would be more than happy to take the predator off your hands.
-Nika

B

big911dog

if you're not finding dead fish and "Poof, they're just gone"...my mind goes DIRECTLY to predator of some sort...

rbaldino

Originally Posted by Big911Dog
if you're not finding dead fish and "Poof, they're just gone"...my mind goes DIRECTLY to predator of some sort...
Probably. Ammonia doesn't make fish just disappear.

gmidd

I'd be scared to stick my hand in the tank if a critter ate that many fish in a a matter of 3 weeks :scared:

myreef05

Are you sure they did not jump? overflow box, corner overflow, on the carpet behind stand?
Any clicking noises coming from the tank at night?