VHO Lights and Algae

rtzx9r

I have a 60 gallon tank with 4 110 watt VHO lights on it. Tank is 1.5 years old, and I am battling green hair algae with a vengence.
Lights: 2 110W 50/50 actinic white, 2 110W Actinic blue URI
Am I running too much actinic lighting? Too little? Lights are on 8 hours a day.
I am wondering if my lights are somewhat responisble for the algae. I use RO water for top off and saltwater, change 10% water monthly, and feed as minimally as I can (pellets eaten within 30 seconds). My trigger recently took out two shrimp due to the feeding cutbacks, who got along for 6 monthspreviously.
Fish and Cleaner Crew:
12 Emerald Crabs
6-10 hermit crabs
1 6" long Bali Sea Monster (does not eat the hair)
4" Foxface (does not eat the hair)
3" False Percula
3" Niger Trigger
4" Pygmy Angel
2x 3" Yellow Chromis
5" Bar Goby
2 bubble tip anemones
Fair amount of leather coral, SPS, pulsing xenia, and other soft corals.
1/10hp chiller (77/78)
Euro Reef skimmer
300gph turn over from sump to tank (via chiller)
I add kalkwasser, calcium, and alkalinity supplements etc.
Water parameters:
pH = 8.2
Calcium = 450
Alkalinity = 11.9
Phosphate = 0
Nitrate = <10
Nitrite = 0
Ammonia = 0
Salinity = 1.025

saltfan

Don't see any mention of snails in there anywhere..?? Got any? How many? Water movement other than the 300gph?? Thats way not enough, if thats all you have, but I did see a couple in the tank..?? Flow?? Hmm, Niger Trigger...H'ell eat those snails too.....

aquaknight

If you're lights are also 1.5 years old, there's your cause. Also how many gallons have been made with your RO unit (approx.)? And when were the last times you flushed the RO and replaced the prefilters?

rtzx9r

Bulbs are 4 months old (blue) and 12 months old (actinic white - ready to be replaced).
I buy my RO water from a LFS, but trust they have good filters. The saltwater I buy from them is local ocean water (S. FL).
Water flow is the return pump - Quiet One 4000 HH = 980GPH, but has 5 foot head so I am guessing half that - around 500GPH maybe. In tank circulation includes 802 and 402 powerheads, as seen on opposite sides of the tank.
I have a few turbo snails, maybe 6-8 of them total, but not a "lot".
Thanks!

rtzx9r

Any other thoughts on this? I added two Korelia #3 PH's and the water is really moving around nicely now.
I am also working on maintaining my pH at 8.3 and raising my alkalinity, per LFS recommendations.
Ready to replace my actinic bulbs, but just wanted a bit more feedback first if possible. Thx!

ervin santiago

Phosban Reactor helped me tremendously when I got my first algea bloo. Also your water changes are too infrequent. Should do 10% one a week.