vho lights burn out, help please.

F

fengfu

I have 6ft, vho's from URI. Actinc and daylight. I bought a ballast from my local electrical store that is supposed to be for vho bulbs to run two 72"ers. I have german end caps that seal for tank applications. My encaps are screwed to the top of the hood and I have two fans moving air to keep them cool. My encaps get burnt marks where the connection is and the bulbs are burning out in a month or so. Very expensive problem as I have 6 bulbs and 3 ballasts. Any Idea's? I really need help wife is about to strangle me.
180gal., 6ft * 2 * 2ft
:confused:

broomer5

I bought a ballast from my local electrical store that is supposed to be for vho bulbs to run two 72"ers
Make and model number of ballast - please ;)
Sounds like wrong ballast, or could also be wiring related.
Who recommended the ballast models for your system

F

fengfu

Advance transformer RS-2S200-TP it says its for 2 F72T12/VHO 165w 3.41Amps. It actually has lamp combo's from 2 160w t10's up to 2 215w t12's. I was trying to avoid more expensive Icecaps.

gregzbobo

What is the wattage of the bulbs you are using? If they are higher than what the ballast is designed to handle, the bulbs will be underdriven and the ballast will overheat.

F

fengfu

160 watt URI's. 2 per ballast. I run 6 lights total on timers stepping up and down. Combination of actinic and aquasuns.
really lit it up. Right now I have 2 bulbs running because the others have gone.

gregzbobo

Are the bulbs fully seated in the endcaps? From what you say of burn marks on the endcaps, there is alot of resistance in there, maybe from the bulbs either not fully seating, or the wiring connections in there being poor. That could cause enough resistance to damage ballasts and perhaps damage the little filaments at the ends of the bulbs

broomer5

I believe you have the correct ballast - from Advanced online catalog.
Each ballast should drive (2) 72" VHO 160 watt lamps.
3.41 Amps ( 168 watts )
How do you have them wired ?
Red on one end - Yellow on other ?
Blue on one end - Yellow on other ?
I beleive from their schematic that yellow is common.
Black and white to 120/60 ?
Is the ballast grounded ? Green to ground ?
Could be as gregzbobo mentioned too.
If you have everything spaced right, the URI's fit nicely up into the end caps. Do the lamps slide easily up into the sockets?
Or do you have to really push them in firmly ?
Once they slip into the slots, then give the lamps each a 1/4 turn ( you'll hear 3 clicks ) until the lamp internal reflectors are on top - light directed downwards.
Then you can spin on the 2 piece gasketed fittings.
I'm puzzled

F

fengfu

Well, I try to make sure the lights are turned and snapped in place. The german endcaps snap fairly well when the light is mounted and turned properly. I replaced the burnt end caps and made sure the wiring connections were tight. The wires slide into little lock connections so you don't connect them with screws. I bought the endcaps from reefFanatic. There is a bit of heat with the ballasts but I thought all ballasts put out a bit. I used the gauge wire the electrical contracting store suggested. I can't remember what gauge but the wires are never warm to the touch. I don't have a reflector. The ballast is only grounded to the case and plug of the power cord. I know other people who have their lights mounted to their hood w/no reflector to grount to and they have no problem. the lights pop right on when they are working properly. Thanks for trying to help. It is very frustrating.

F

fengfu

I just checked my wiring.
2 blue to one end 1st bulb
2 red to one end 2nd bulb
yellow to both bulbs on other end.
the bulbs fit easily into the end pieces, turn easily w/reflector at top. seal pieces screw onto the ends easily.
There is no ground wire on these ballasts. Diagram shows ground to case so I bolted the green ground from power cord to the case.
They will work great for awhile, a couple of months, then go out....
Really crazy. I made the hood. I can see both long sides of my aq. so I made the hood so I can slide the top of the hood out the one end of the hood. I have long wires so tht the hood can slide out and still be connected to the ballast. But the Icecap ballast comes with 15ft of wire and mine is only 12ft on the long end and maybe 7 on the other.
I would post pics but can't find one. Sorry. Thanks again for trying to help.