VHO, PC, or MH?

fishgirl

What's the best light? VHO, PC, or MH? Which is the cheapest? Which gives off the least heat? What will fit easliy over the hood?

mr . salty

Which is cheapest,least amount of heat,and fits in a small space. You have just eliminated MH. Sounds like you need PC.

fishgirl

Hey reefer, did you find out about the 46 bowfront from my website? Well, just to let you and everyone else know, I havn't updated the thing in ages. Now I'm planning on a 72 bowfront in the late spring (assuming I can annoy my parents with fish facts until they give in). I would like to put my sebae clown and yellow tang in this tank, along with a flame angel, hippo/regal tang, and maybe a royal gramma if there's room? Is there room or not?
Also for 72 gallon, what exact wattage of PC will I need? All I want is liverock and cleaning inverts. Do I need to couple this lighting system with some actinics? Also, do PCs fitright on top of the hood like my NO flourescents, or do you have to hang them over the hood? Do PCs need fans? Any answers are eagerly awaited!!

mr . salty

HEY FISHGIRL,nice to see your still around. The 72 sounds like a great tank.Yes the PC's will fit under a good hood,and I agree with the NO blues.It's good way to go. STEVE

fishgirl

what about the number of fish? The clown Y. Tang, Hippo tang, flame angel and royal gramma? Too much? thanx

mr . salty

There should be plenty of room inthe 72 for them. I also have found a good/cheap deal on MH.I plan on getting two more 175's from here http://www.aquaticlight.com./Click on retro kits. I will probably get the 12000k bulbs though.Although the ones that come with the deal are not bad.
[This message has been edited by MR . SALTY (edited 12-03-2000).]

mr . salty

Just read the plan and I think you should think about more live rock. I would reccomend at least one pound per gallon.Mamy reefs have 1.5or2 lbs per gallon.

fishgirl

yeah but I want to buy it from saltwaterfish.com, and they only have 20 and 40lb packages, and I don't want 80 lbs cuz tangs need some swimming space...but thanks...what do you think I should get for a skimmer?