vho questions!

Just a couple of quick questions:
I currently have 2x65w(10000K) PCs on my 55 gal.
It looks like Im gonna end up supplementing with 2x110 VHO. Im gonna replace the 2x65w PCs with actinic bulbs and put 10000K in my VHO. Now here are my questions before I start:
Do VHO bulbs produce heat?
How far above the water should they be?(with glass covers)
If I get URI bulbs do I need a reflector? Ive read somewhere you just need to be sure to paint with white on the inside. Any certain paint to use?
thanks

teog

I have 4 URI's 95wt VHOs over my 90....the inside of my canopy is white plastic....My VHo's are warm but not hot, I can touch them with no problems(I dont leave my hand for too long though...)My lights are about 3inches off the water and never had a problem..hope this helps..if you paint your hood im sure a semi-gloss would be fine but I would ask the person at you local homedepot for advise on light reflecting type paints.

Heat is related to wattage so 2 110s are going to create about twice as much heat as 2 65s.
Some URI tubes come with internal reflectors but
I would still either paint or use a metal reflector.
I keep my halides as close to the water as possible.
Hey where is henagar?

nm reef

Good answers already ...nothing to add except...why actinic pc's & 10k vho's. The reason I ask is because I run 4x65 10k pcs & 2x110 03 actinic vho's. Personally I think VHO actinics are much better than pc actinics...thats why I run mine the way I do. Just curious if you had a specific reason for your choices.

sorry guys, ive been away for a while.
Teog-- Is your canopy made with wood and lined with plastic? IF so what kind is it?
Trailer Trash-- Henagar is in NE Alabama, lets say 45 min from Chattanooga, TN, and an hour from Huntsville, AL.
NM Reef-- The reason I say that is I believe I read where your ratio of actinic to 10K should be 2:1. Have I read wrong?? If so(I hope) this would save me money because I wouldnt have to replace the current pcs I have now. That would give me a ratio of 130:220, 10K:actinic. If thats ok it would be great to me!!
Thanks guys

nm reef

Was simply curious because most info I've seen indicates that pc actinics are not as good as vho's. I have heard that there are some newer pc actinics on the market but I've never seen them. I'm sure your combination will work. Sounds like a very nice set-up. :cool:

So which setup in your opinion would be the best? Money is not a problem but I would like to be able to save as much as possible!

teog

Adam,
My canopy is made out of oak and it has some sort of white plastic sheeting..not sure what type.
My lights currenlty do extremely well for my sofct coral (mushroom, ricordia, leather, star poylps)...However I wanted to get some sps too..so I just ordered 2x96 pc's...Im not sure how its all going to fit but if there is a will there is a way!!!!