vho vs. pc

ibrew4uandi

I used to be into fresh water planted tanks. For them..people normally used pc bulbs over vho. As I learn more about this reef thing it seems that vho is used over pc. Is this true? Is there a reason?

nm reef

Thats a question that does get a lot of debate.....vho...or pc? Both are viable options for reef systems....I could never decide which I actually prefered....so I use both!! 4x65 watts of 10k pc's & 2x110 watts of 03 actinic vho's. These are on my 55 reef.....seriously either can be a good choice...best bet is to research the available options. Then decide what type corals you plan to keep and develope your lighting to meet the needs of your choices. :cool:

ibrew4uandi

Thats what I thought. As a new reefer i was just making sure I was not completely missing the boat on something.

shootonsite

ibrew4uandi,
Hopefully I can help you decide what's best for you.
PC's are the latest creation for lighting. They're primarily designed for small to average sized tanks that require strong lighting for small spaces. They produce the most light per watt than anything else, so energy savings a huge plus. Some even have the perfect parameters for photosynthesis, so there is no need to overkill on lighting. They can run hot and replacement is recommended every 12 months.
VHO's are great for larger tanks (24" or deeper). They don't require massive watts like MH's and almost penetrate as deep. That is the big plus. They run much cooler than PC's and MH's but need frequent replacement (every 4-6 months).
If you live in California like I do, I need to use PC's to save money. I rely less on lighting and more on perfect water to keep my inverts thriving. For example, my clam was purchased at a store that kept it under MH with mechanical filtration. He was purple and unattached when I bought him. He's under less lighting now, but I use Custom Sea Life bulbs for perfect photosynthesis with natural algae filtration and he turned turqoise and completely attached within a week.

kris walker

Yup, I heard it too. I don't think that is correct. PC's and VHO's have approximately the same lumens/input Watt ratings, so there is no cost savings. And I too heard with electronic ballasts your bulbs can last much longer than 6 months before the red shift starts getting bad.
kris

efrank

shootonsight,
I am not trying to be a jerk but you seem to give out an awful lot of misinformation about lighting. Please read up on this stuff before handing out any more advice.

shootonsite

I know that you're not a jerk. I just want to open people's eyes. I do my best in gathering information from more appropriate sources. The advice I might pass on normally comes from the expert opinions of biologists and representatives of the public aquariums in the north bay. That is why I expect the information to contradict the beliefs of most hobbyists. That's how I know that I'm on the right path. The real misinformation comes from the manufacturers hoping for repeat business. A small lesson in business ethics.

fishfood

shootonsite,
I don't want to bump heads hear either and i honestly do not know much about lighting either. Here is where i'm confused with your statement. You say, "The real misinformation comes from the manufacturers hoping for repeat business". Now others here are arguing that you can run VHO electronic ballasts for longer than 4-6 months and they are still effective. I too thought that my VHO's could last between 9-12 months. So it seems that you have become that repeat business that you are talking about. You end up spending twice as much as i do a year to replace your bulbs, and I have been going off of manufacturers recommendations.

shootonsite

I wish people would read carefully. Then again, I'm being questioned by someone who has a sand sifting star in their reef. I in no way endorsed the use of VHO lamps. How would I be a victim of the repeat business, if I'm not even using VHO. The idea is also meant to apply to other facets of the hobby. Lighting again, is only a part of it. Also, it is important to know that bulbs can run well over two years. Its the effectiveness that dwindles over time. Replacement is usually made even before the bulb is dead. You may be able to get away with 12 months on your VHO's simply because you have beginner corals. I'm not as reliant on lighting and concentrate more on water quality, so I replace my bulbs annually.

Shootonsight,
There is nothing wrong with having a sand sifting star in a reef first of all. That is YOUR OPINION, fine. What's with the 'tude? Different people, different ideas...that's why we're here posting our opinions and hopefully helping those with questions that perhaps we have experience with.
Chill. :D

shootonsite

tropicalreefs,
If you read the posts, you'll find that I've only expressed my opinions. If I go against the grain, I leave myself open to criticism and I'm comfortable with that. Some of the things I've discovered will not be well circulated information because anything worth knowing is not easy to find. So far, no one's been able to argue or prove me wrong intelligently. Including you. And no, it is not OK to have a sand sifting star in a reef, but don't just take my word for it. Please research for yourself.
"The mob is easily led."

fishfood

Well sorry, I didn't mean to assume that you do have them(VHO's) but you did say,"VHO's are great for larger tanks (24" or deeper). They don't require massive watts like MH's and almost penetrate as deep. That is the big plus. They run much cooler than PC's and MH's but need frequent replacement (every 4-6 months)." So if you did use them, then based on the info that your biologist friends or friends who work at the public aquarium gave you, you would be spending more! (maybe you didn't get this specific info from these people but that is how it comes across to me)
I replace mine at 9 months based on what i was told by fellow reefers on this board and from the lfs.
As far as the sand sifting star, Yea some say they are bad for a reef, and i've read up one everything i could about them and decided to keep it. There have been many post here that say Flame Angels can harm a reef also yet you have one.

shootonsite

Fishfood,
I only like to help people. If I sound like I have an attitude, I'm sorry if I come across that way. I just want to show everyone a better way so that we have less casualties and that the depletion of our reefs don't go in vain. The only way is to find out as much as we can. With the little time I have, I try to learn from the most reliable sources I can find. If it's wrong, and there's an even better way to go by it, I'm all ears.

fishfood

I wasn't trying to say you were wrong. I agree with you that most of the time manufacturers will try to dupe us hobbiest into something we don't need or something that won't last or even fish that won't survive in our tanks. What i was trying to get at is that your friends say 4-6 and i was told 9-12(and others mentions this timeframe in this post also) so I would think that the manufacturer would say 4-6(and some may) and your friends would say 9-12. If it was that way than what you said with that scenario about repeat business would be more logical. That is all I did't understand.