VHO vs PC

saltyfish

i'm looking for the facts on the two diferent lightting. VHO and PC. I'm not looking for emotion I'm looking for the diferances and what does what. any help will be helpful...

cap'n pete

Bulb cost yes, PC's are more. However the only good ballasts I could ever find made the whole lighting setup a lot more than going with PC's, even in the long run. Now if you had say a Icecap ballast and wanted to decide what you wanted to use, if space is not an issue I would probably pick VHO. For small tanks (I have a 29G) PC's are a lot easier to install IMO. HTH

reef fool

I changed to VHO from PC's because I was told VHO runs cooler. I had a problem with heat because of no A/C and it was hotter than Africa in NY last summer. The VHO definitely seemed cooler.

reef fool

Originally posted by bas12547
Reef Fool - What kind of Anenome is that with the clown?
Brian

I posted that same question several months ago. We came to the conclusion that it must be some type of Atlantic condi. Still not 100% sure though.

bas12547

Reef Fool - I just noticed you are in DC NY. I live in Milton (south of Highland).
Which lfs do you use?
I thought a condi wouldn't host a Anenome.
Brian

waterwolf

Just to help, you could save yourself a ton of money by going to your electrical supplier or a good hardware store and buying VHO ballasts, wiring and endcaps and doing it yourself.

reef fool

Originally posted by bas12547
Reef Fool - I just noticed you are in DC NY. I live in Milton (south of Highland).
Which lfs do you use?
I thought a condi wouldn't host a Anenome.
Brian

Brian,
I go to The Fish Barn (not the online Fish Barn) in Hopewell Jct. Great livestock prices and coral prices IMO (Dry goods are avg.) and most importantly, everything seems to be healthy all of the time. Very helpful and eager to please. I now shop nowhere else. I tried several other place before I found them and was very unhappy w/ most others. Especially the 2 places on your side of the river. I got mis informed and ripped off bigtime at a place near you. If you haven't checked them out, you should. E-Mail me if you want directions.
DFKovacs@hotmail.com
As for the anemone, I am still not sure of it's exact type. Nobody could give me a definite ID. I bought it several months ago at the LFS because the Clarki was all over it. I bought them as a combo.