VHO vs PC

finland

There have been a few posts lately that have got me thinking. Right now I have 2 250w 10k ushios and 4 96watt pc(2 actinic and 2 10k's). I am going to add a 400w halide before I take the sps plunge. What I am curious about is which have better light penetration, pc's or VHO, or are they similar. The tank is a 72" 150gal. , so which would be a better choice, keeping the pc's or going with a couple 6ft VHO's.

michaeltx

yeah they are both good bulbs but if you want them for supplement atinic deffinatley get VHO the pc bulbs just dont give the cral glow and fosference (SP? I know thats not right LOL)
but PC atinic just isnt allt hat great yet its getting there but right now its not there.
Mike

finland

That is pretty much what I was thinking. I think I will switch the pc's over to vho and use the pc's on another tank. Thanks for the input.

ryebread

I was wondering who was going to say that.......PC are much stronger for thier size but, the wonderful look of VHO is what has kept me with them.

finland

Well, I guess that is why I asked. I didn't realize pc had much better light penetration then vho. I figured they were similar per watt. I have pc and I do like the actinics. I do admit though, vho actinics are a little nicer on looks. Now I will have to rethink what I am going to do. Thanks to all.

jim27

Am I the only one who cant tell the difference between the two when halides are on? I've seen tanks when only the VHO actinics are on......ugly. I'v seen tanks where only the PC actinics are on......ugly. Personally I'm not a fan of how tanks look with only actinics on so I prefere PC because of their penetration.