VHO's?

B

bildotang

Does anyone here use VHO's for their reef tank? Have you had good luck with the colors in your tank from the bulbs? Do they get as hot as MH?:notsure:

B

bildotang

What do you recommend for a tank that is 60" wd, 24" d and 25" h? I want to have good lighting for a reef, but I can't spend a huge fortune, and I don't want to buy lights twice. After looking on some websites, I can get 60" long VHO's, but for MH, I'm not sure how big to go.

B

bildotang

Thanks Kip4130 for the info. Would you happen to have a link, or web address that points me to what you would recommend. I have been looking at MH lights, but alot of it's confusing. I mean, there is so many bulbs, lengths, and ballasts. Your help is most appreciated. Here's my email address if you can't put a link in the post.
wast@nwpipe.com

B

bildotang

My new tank does not have a canopy. Right now, my PC's are sitting on my tank lids. Can I still run lids with the MH's. I know that there's a possibility of hanging them from my ceiling, which is fine. I just want really nice lights, even if they're expensive. And the cleaner the look, the better.

B

bildotang

Yeah, I plan on suspending them above the tank. I have done alot of research on learning my evaporation rate in case I run without my lids, so I'm totally prepared for that. I just need guidance on the lights now. I guess I'm a rookie who's a little nervous about making a big purchase without getting some good advice.

B

bildotang

That's a really good question, I'm sorry that I don't have that answer. I have been looking at alot of tank pictures, and I plan on "copying" what other people have done. I'm open for suggestions.
Here it is. I want color and variety. However I get there does not matter to me, I just want it to be nice. A couple of fish like a tang, a gobbie, and things that are reef safe. I love soft and hard corals. Some of them are beautiful.
Does my coral selection have alot to do with my lights?

B

bildotang

So, my best course of action is to research my coral selection, and then I can talk with you about light selection. I will get back with you on this subject after I do some homework. Thanks for all the input so far!:joy: