Vinyl Tubing?

L

lilredwuck

What is your guy's take on vinyl tubing vs. hard plumbing? Was looking to use the vinyl plumbing 3/4" on the return line off the pump to a pvc tee. I am unsure if this is ok or not, or where I would place the ball valve if I did it that way.

S

shrimpy brains

Personally, I like vinyl tubing or flex hose as you can easily make a place to disconnect your plumbing if you have the need. (hose barb and clamp)

spanko

Light entering the clear hose will increase algae growth in the tube. Also if you can do not use T fittings as they restrict flow, use Y fittings wherever possible.

L

lilredwuck

I have actually found some black tubing made by Danner mfg. "Kink-Free Corrugated Reinforced Black Tubing"
I was thinking of using it for the drains 1 1/2" but unsure how I would "hook" them, or keep them in place at the sump. I was also thinking if I should run 3 return lines instead of 2. Using 3/4" tubing. I can always krylon the clear line black though, so no worries on that. Looking at soft plumbing due to a lot less 90 degree angles, more gradual turning radius.

spanko

Well okay then. But do keep in mind the corrugated will accumulate detritus especially when used as a drain from the display to the sump.

L

lilredwuck

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/3186387
Well okay then. But do keep in mind the corrugated will accumulate detritus especially when used as a drain from the display to the sump.
Are you talking about the spa hose that has ridges on the inside when you say corrugated? This particular pipe is smooth on the inside, the raised ridges are on the outside.