Viper HQI Nano Lights on a Big Tank

jrandolph1

I am looking to get 3 JBJ K-2 Viper HQI 150 Watt Fixtures for my 180 gallon reef tank. I also plan on using my power compac fixture as a stricktly atinic fixture. It has 4 96 watt square pin lamps in it. I was just wondering if anybody has any advice and would know where to get those fixtures at a resonable price.
Jon

scsinet

I have these lighting fixtures and IMO they lack proper beam spread for 3 to be sufficient for a 180. You'd have to use more than that... maybe 4-6.
The only way to really make it work is to raise the lights higher, but the arm won't accomodate that plus penetration becomes a problem.
Is there some reason you are deadset on doing it this way versus commercial pendants? On a 180 tank I'd use (3) 250 or 400w pendants. The lighting setup you are propoposing is under 5wpg, so there will be some limitations on what you can keep... but you'll be able to keep most things.

jrandolph1

I don't have a canopy and so the conventional MH fixtures are REALLY ugly. I have one now that is a 175w and it works the center section just fine. I also like the idea of keeping the heat down. I may add more than 3 but I have heard success stories on them so far but thanks for the info.