Vodka dosing info

florida joe

I am sure that the people that are vodka dosing as a way of reducing phosphate and nitrate know this but I thought I would share some information I have learned as I continue to research the subject. Please remember that this is what I HAVE LEARNED every one considering this need do their own research
This is the principal behind Vodka dosing.
All living creatures need phosphate to survive. So the growth of organisms in our tanks that consumes them as well as nitrates and then are harvested through protein skimming is a very powerful tool.
To stimulate the growth of these bacteria a source of carbon is used. Vodka supplies this carbon in the form of ethanol. The vodka is added directly into our aquariums. The ethanol stimulates the growth of hydrotropic bacteria. Which feeds on phosphates and nitrates in their bacteria bloom. A protein skimmer then removes the bacteria bloom. A 2004 study showed a dosage rate of between 5 and 10 ml per day of vodka per 260 gallons of aquarium water.
The vodka dosage has to be made regularly and increased in very small dosages. and testing must be undertaken until nitrates are undetectable then the dosage reduced until a balance is found over dosing can cause algal blooms. The protein skimmer will remove large amounts of organic matter and must be cleaned frequently as well as your mechanical filters.
It has also been noted that vodka dosing has stimulated polyp expansion in soft corals. But what is not known is if this is due to the bio mass being consumed by the corals or the ethanol.

spanko

Just seems like an over the top program to get into to me. Add vodka to create a bacteria bloom that then has to be removed. Is it not easier to address the source of the phosphate and nitrate and control those somehow? Are you doing this Fl. Joe? I know you have been looking into it for a while now.

florida joe

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2543212
Just seems like an over the top program to get into to me. Add vodka to create a bacteria bloom that then has to be removed. Is it not easier to address the source of the phosphate and nitrate and control those somehow? Are you doing this Fl. Joe? I know you have been looking into it for a while now.
Henry as a matter of fact I don’t think I will dose. I am in the process of having an acrylic box made so I can fabricate my refug to see if I can handle my nitrates in that manner that being said, all of our filtration is predicated on removal or conversion so IMO the growing of bacteria to remove phosphates and nitrates is the same as our cultivating nitrifying bacteria. The protein skimmer is the last step in nitrification and denitrification. The source is really not the problem I don’t think with out the source we could maintain our aquariums with out constant and massive water changes so IMO The problem is the end results of nitrification and how to better denitrify
Joe

vampofvegas

I vodka dose myself... literly.. myself. HA! Sorry had to get that one out of the way.
Not that i'm interested in dosing.. I just like to ask questions to get more info.
Have you ever thought of or tested the different qualities of Vodka? Does some vodka need to be at a higher dose than other vodkas because of its quality. Due to the many different ways of making and filtering the vodka.. it could change things.
Just a thought.

florida joe

Originally Posted by VampOfVegas
http:///forum/post/2543225
I vodka dose myself... literly.. myself. HA! Sorry had to get that one out of the way.
Not that i'm interested in dosing.. I just like to ask questions to get more info.
Have you ever thought of or tested the different qualities of Vodka? Does some vodka need to be at a higher dose than other vodkas because of its quality. Due to the many different ways of making and filtering the vodka.. it could change things.
Just a thought.
First let me say try Hanger One (blows Gray Goose out of the water no pun intended)
I don’t think anyone has preformed a controlled experiment using different brands. The vodka is merely a means to introduce the ethanol. That’s why testing your phosphates and nitrates and adjusting your dosage is so important it eliminates the variables if there are any in the different brands.

streetdoc

Hey Joe. I have been trying to get a 'fuge made around here for a while now and I keep getting the run around...promise it will get done and then never does. May I ask whom you are going to use?

florida joe

Originally Posted by StreetDoc
http:///forum/post/2544251
Hey Joe. I have been trying to get a 'fuge made around here for a while now and I keep getting the run around...promise it will get done and then never does. May I ask whom you are going to use?
Alan I had the same problem about getting the run around I got a really good price on acrylic I had to send them a drawing. I am given a follow up call tomorrow they are located in California I will pm you my e-mail address so we can talk