Vodka Dosing~~~~~~~Who has tried or had success??????

bang guy

It's acually better at reducing Phosphate than Nitrate.
Start with a very small dose and build up to the desired dose gradually.
If you don't have a really good skimmer don't dose Vodka.

gmann1139

I'm just growing my knowledge here.
So I assume you're dosing vodka to the tank, just like Amquel or buffer or something.
What's the desired dose? Also, I'm assuming that a higher-end vodka should be used, to reduce the 'contamintation.'

bang guy

Originally Posted by gmann1139
http:///forum/post/2540334
I'm just growing my knowledge here.
So I assume you're dosing vodka to the tank, just like Amquel or buffer or something.
What's the desired dose? Also, I'm assuming that a higher-end vodka should be used, to reduce the 'contamintation.'
Actually a cheaper "Triple-Distilled" version is better than the high-end Vodka.
The dose is 100% dependent on the current PO4 level. You need to start with a small amount to allow the bacteria population time to increase.

nietzsche

im in the second week of dosing vodka on my little tank
some things i have come across is cyano in spots on the sand, reduced amount of algae on the glass, water is a bit clearer, coralline algae has started to die off in my sump where it grew fast-- now its white, better polyp extension on SPS..
things to be cautioned about using vodka: pathogenic bateria might increase and can put fish and the person at risk, pH decreases.. oxygen decreases.. you can crash your tank if youre not careful

nietzsche

this is what i went by and figured out how much i needed in my tank
"DSB tanks react very sensitively on Vodka supplementation, thus be careful! If you run a DSB without a skimmer, you should add one to your tank.
Vodka should be supplemented daily during the lighting phase.
You can start with 0.1 mL/100 L for the first three days.
Then you increase the vodka volume to 0.2 mL/100 L for day 4-7.
Subsequently to this initial week you increase the vodka dose by 0.5 mL per total tank volume (this is important, do not dose on a per 100L basis, but on the total tank volume!) every week.
So, e.g. for a 500 L tank:
day 1-3: 0.1 * 5 = 0.5 mL
day 4-7: 0.2 * 5 = 1 mL
2. week (day 8-14): 1 mL + 0.5 mL = 1.5 mL
3. week: 1.5 mL + 0.5 mL = 2 mL.
After these 3 weeks you should recognize changes in the nutrient levels (nitrate, phosphate). If the nutrient levels are still unchanged, you should further increase the dose by 0.5 mL per total tank volume.
As soon as you recognize either nitrate or phosphate to start dropping you shouldn't further increase the vodka volume but watch the nutrient levels, even in the first three weeks.
You should log your nutrient measurements and monitor the nutrient levels on a regular basis (every 3 days).
As Heinz said, skimming is important and you will recognize your skimmer to work much more effectively."

reefmate75

vodka,...like SKY VODKA????? oh my goodness where do people come up with these ideas to get there fish drunk oh my goodness

nietzsche

just really cheap vodka like a 10 dollar one. no need to get the expensive, and dont use anything that has any flavoring or added something to it..

L

lsu

8ml of Taaka a week in my denitrator, I let the machine figure out how to do it.

bang guy

Originally Posted by nietzsche
http:///forum/post/2540386
things to be cautioned about using vodka: pathogenic bateria might increase and can put fish and the person at risk, pH decreases.. oxygen decreases.. you can crash your tank if youre not careful
Overskimming will alleviate these problems. It will remove the excess CO2 which will stabilize your PH and it will oxygenate the water.
If your skimmer is just adequate or you don't have a skimmer then vodka is a really bad idea.
Keep us updated nietzsche! Great work.

snakeblitz33

wow, I've never heard of dosing vodka. Interesting.
Question is, what small amount to start with per gallon or per 50 gallons?

nietzsche

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2540450
Overskimming will alleviate these problems. It will remove the excess CO2 which will stabilize your PH and it will oxygenate the water.
If your skimmer is just adequate or you don't have a skimmer then vodka is a really bad idea.
Keep us updated nietzsche! Great work.
ive been updating a thread on my local forum since i started and am logging down everything ive been doing. if it wasnt for the cyano here and there id be more positive about it, but ill give it a couple more weeks to check it out
i also would advise people to be keep track of phosphates with a low range meter like something by Hanna. i dont have anything to check nitrates or phosphates so im pretty much doing this on my own and putting everything at risk. i think once i get into the 3rd week im going to maintain the dosage and leave it like that. so far softies and SPS are doing well with the exception of one tricolor frag that is pale-- the colony it came from is doing well though and hasnt lost any color

espkh9

Ok this intrests me I'm trying to reduce Phosphates Would Grey Goose be recommended ?
If so can someone explain how much to start with and the directions etc. I have a 125 reef with a super skimmer by coralife for 125 gallons. I'm using Phosban and got the phoshates from 2 to 0.5...should I bother with this vodka idea ? Or is it just a good reason to get my wife and fish drunk lol

nietzsche

id use a better skimmer than that, but just buy cheap vodka. im dosing vodka called Rikaloff thats 80% proof and costs 9.99 for 1 liter. and it goes by volume when you dose, not by how big your tank is. if you did in fact have 125 in volume then that would be 473 liters. if youre not sure how to convert you can easily type it in google by putting the phrase "how many liters in 125 gallons?" when you type that phrase exactly google will calculate it for you.. then you just do the math.
i estimated how much i had because i dose two-part i had an idea how many gallons i had, then i went by it and underdosed just to be on safe side
btw, this would be good for people who want to have a low nutrient system that need it for SPS. softies may suffer if the water is too clean, same thing with SPS (like how one of my frags is turning pale).
473 liters*.1mL / 100 L = ~.4 mL like i said, it goes by volume not by tank size.

nietzsche

i started with .06 mL. what i used to measure this was one of those diabetic insulin needles. i think i can measure as low as .005 and highest being .05
i tried looking around to see how much 1 CC equalled and i saw somewhere that CC and mL are the same, so this is something that you should look into getting as well.