Vodka Dosing???

nitschke65

Florida joe. let me make this perfectly clear. There are people in this world who write FOR A LIVING. If you copy their words, without giving them credit, you are stealing. If you post remarks that you've copied from another source, in a way that would lead others to believe that they are your own, you diminish your credibility, and look like a fool in doing so.
I pointed out your mistake, and asked for an apology: not necessarily to me, but maybe to the OP, or to the people whos words you stole. I thought you'd be smart enough to simply say you were sorry. I don't know anything about vodka dosing, but I know when to quit when I'm beat.
But you must understand this info is coming from a border line (debatable) alcoholic that loves
Vodka

florida joe

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2949451
Florida joe. let me make this perfectly clear. There are people in this world who write FOR A LIVING. If you copy their words, without giving them credit, you are stealing. If you post remarks that you've copied from another source, in a way that would lead others to believe that they are your own, you diminish your credibility, and look like a fool in doing so.
I pointed out your mistake, and asked for an apology: not necessarily to me, but maybe to the OP, or to the people whos words you stole. I thought you'd be smart enough to simply say you were sorry. I don't know anything about vodka dosing, but I know when to quit when I'm beat.
So if you were to ask me the life cycle of ick the only way I could post the information to you would be by listing every expert who did the research and published their finding and then got permission to post it. As far as you feeling the OP deserves an apology for posting information pertaining to their question I will certainly give them one if they ask, Does that ease your mind And I can feel assured you will only post first hand information and if not you will give chapter and verse of where said information was obtained. Do you really think the person asking a question cares where the information comes from as long as it is creatable and helps them. If you read my posts you will see that I have never claimed to be an expert. I am sorry I feel in this hobby the ends justify the means. If getting information out to people that may save our corals and fish with out getting permission from the experts who published said information so be it. I am sure the people doing this research are more then mercenaries looking to make a buck and are happy their findings are being put to good use

snakeblitz33

I'm not taking up for anybody, but all he said was to just cite where the info came from. Not that you had to get permission, that would be impossible.
And yes, I believe the end justifies the means as well.

woody189

Idk why i'm including myself in this discussion, but Joe, all he was saying is that not only did you not credit the information, but you really did make it seem as though it was your words. you said:
Originally Posted by florida joe
http:///forum/post/2948695
My friend this is a subject that the hobbyist needs to find research based on hard facts that being said. In a nutshell.
The main purpose to dose organic carbon is the reduction of excess nutrients in the reef aquaria....
But you must understand this info is coming from a border line (debatable) alcoholic that loves
Vodka

When you say in a nutshell, it sounds as though you are summing it up on your own, but the biggest "mistake" you made, was saying that "you must understand this is coming form a borderline alcoholic". You saying that makes it seem as though it is in fact YOU that wrote that article. Why would you say This is coming from an alcoholic
if you didn't even write it? What you should have said is " this is coming from a writer named nathanial."
And you are just being dramtaic with the whole
Originally Posted by florida joe

http:///forum/post/2949457
So if you were to ask me the life cycle of ick the only way I could post the information to you would be by listing every expert who did the research and published their finding and then got permission to post it.
You can say whatever you want, but do it in your own words and don't copy paste it and not cite it. You know that you don't have cite every little thing so don't act like that's what we're asking.
And how your gonna tell Snake that you weren't being sarcastic is beyond me. If you weren't being sarcastic, then that means that you truly believe that we should have to cite every bit of info we put on this site. WHich i'm sure isn't how you feel
I'm not trying to take sides, and I have no problem w/ you whatsover, but I feel as though you were passing that info as your own (Intentionally or not, only you know) and that nitch wasn't doing anything wrong. You just got overly defensive. NOW THIS IS MY OPINION... I feel as though you probably realized what you did, and that you could have handled it differently, but you already posted the thread so instead of admitting fault, you decided to act innocent, as if you did nothing wrong. Again, that's just how I see it, maybe I'm wrong.
And Snake said that it's for the experts and that HE can't handle it. Meaning he is NOT an expert, but close to one. And you can twist words around all day, but you know that he wasn't trying to say he was an expert, nor was he trying to imply that he was better than anyone. He was merely stating that he feels as though he is an experienced reefer.
Okay, go ahead, tear me a new one.

sepulatian

Alright, I think that is enough arguing for one thread. Joe, in the future please just cite the author of information that is directly copy and pasted. Everyone else, please refrain from attacking other members of this board.
Can we get back to the discussion of vodka dosing now??

florida joe

Originally Posted by sepulatian
http:///forum/post/2949521
Alright, I think that is enough arguing for one thread. Joe, in the future please just cite the author of information that is directly copy and pasted. Everyone else, please refrain from attacking other members of this board.
Can we get back to the discussion of vodka dosing now??
Sir Q I give you my word it will never happen again. I can also assure you that as a member of the boards I will be diligent in monitoring posts for similar indiscretions and bring said indiscretions to the forefront of the thread. If we all due our part we can stop this travesty
Now as you suggested lets get on with Vodka Dosing
Anyone?

spanko

Simple really. Here is what I usually do in this case.
Oh original poster you want to know about..................?
Quote;
" blah....blah.....blah....blah"
Hope that helps.
I think I may need a vodka dose now.

florida joe

First let me qualify my statements by saying that this information comes from my own observations during Vodka dosing. And was not cut and pasted nor culled from anywhere else
Along with the documented need for a protein skimmer it is imperative to keep your pre-filter and primary mechanical filter media clean. There seems to be an abundance of galantines material, evident by the photo that builds up on the filter media just before the nitrates go into rapid decline. This build up I have personally observed happens through the time frame vodka dosing is employed BUT after said decline. The impact on the filter material can and will effect the water level in your sump. Diligence must be maintained to prevent the level of water dropping suddenly below the intake of your return pump.
As this information comes as I have stated above from my personal experience I have no objections to anyone on the boards reposting, or copying and pasting it anywhere they feel it may be informative

bang guy

WOW, I leave for a could of hours and a Hockey game breaks out.
No links, that is the site policy.
Let the Mods police the forums. Feel free to PM us with anything you think is out of line. A perfectly good thread ruined...

florida joe

Originally Posted by Bang Guy
http:///forum/post/2949667
WOW, I leave for a could of hours and a Hockey game breaks out.
No links, that is the site policy.
Let the Mods police the forums. Feel free to PM us with anything you think is out of line. A perfectly good thread ruined...

Bang I wish to apologize to you as well as everyone else on the board for allowing a situation to escalate when all that was needed on my part was to not respond
what is your Assessment of the build up in the photo?

spanko

Not doing Vodka dosing here, but I have started using the Prodibio products. Essentially the same outcome which is to increase biofiltration to the point of a zero nutrient system for the express purpose of being able to feed the tank increased amount of food for increased coral growth. (This is what I have gleaned from the data I have read anyway) I do want to chime in on what Joe has experienced here though. I too have seen, especially after a dosing of the product, the filter floss that I use become extremely full of crud and need to be changed out more often for a couple of days.
The reason I chose Prodibio rather than the vodka - sugar - carbon dosing method was strictly ease of use. The Prodibio product is actually a bacteria addition. The bacteria are contained in a nitrogen atmosphere ampule that you break when adding. The vodka - sugar dosing has very specific measurement, increase in dose procedure to follow. It also gets to the point where you will see the bacteria bloom in a white tint to your water at which time you are to cut back by half the amount you does, etc. etc.
Too complicated and time intensive for my feeble mind but do look at some of the Italian reef sites. Seems they are headlong into the dosing game and have some incredible tanks to show for it. They are also doing not only carbon dosing with vodka and such but are combining it with Zeovit, Blackwell, or Prodibio products too. Very interesting stuff.

florida joe

Henry I think I may have mentioned this before. There is a product called AZ-NO3 produced by Monolith Marine Monsters that is very interesting (for those concerned I heard about this at a saltwater seminar and I am not claiming to have produced the product and I am sure the company will not object to me making reference to it)

florida joe

Originally Posted by spanko
http:///forum/post/2949732
So what is that Joe, a filter sock in the sump?
No Henry it is a cylindrical filter that fits over perforated plastic pipe that sits in the bottom of my overflow boxes. The water them travels to my sump/ refug

srfisher17

Originally Posted by nitschke65
http:///forum/post/2949304
Expressing someone elses ideas as your own is called plagarism. It's a lot like petty theft.
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
It's not hard to tell when, someone who posts pictures of their fish themed martini glass, try to pass off a phrase like, "The main purpose to dose organic carbon is the reduction of excess nutrients in the reef aquaria." florida joe, unless your real name is Nathaniel A. Walton or Matt Bjornson, you owe somebody an apology.
Joe, you don't owe anyone anything. The effort you put into this forum (it is a forum, not a school research paper) is really appreciated by almost all of us. And, Ray Nitschke was #66, not #65. Mis-representing Green Bay Packers Hall of Famers is serious blasphemy!

florida joe

Originally Posted by srfisher17
http:///forum/post/2949825
Joe, you don't owe anyone anything. The effort you put into this forum (it is a forum, not a school research paper) is really appreciated by almost all of us. And, Ray Nitschke was #66, not #65. Mis-representing Green Bay Packers Hall of Famers is serious blasphemy!
Thank you sir

florida joe

Well as long as the experts seem to be busy elsewhere I guess I will post again.
My FIRST HAND experience with vodka dosing yielded this information. With a constant 40 mg/l of nitrates I started dosing (after extensive homework). I did not see a change in my nitrates for approximately 33 days. Then my mechanical filters started to get impacted. A day later my nitrates dropped like a lead weight. They went to a recording of zero after ten days. They stayed that way for about seven days. After the seventh day they started to rise to about 2.5 ml/g. and stayed there as long as I continued to dose. I do not know the reason for the small rise and leveling off. Perhaps one of our members can contact an expert and get the answer.
Not wanting to be a slave to dosing I looked into a refug. my unique situation called for a custom make tank and plumbing. With the help of a few members most notable Randy the project was completed. With a substraight of live sand acquired off shore and mud purchased at LFS. I stocked my refug with Caulerpa. After running for two months my nitrates which had gone back to a reading of 40 mg/l dropped to between 0 and 5 mg/l.
Does Vodka dosing work. YES it is an extremely powerful tool. Are there alternatives to dosing yes? The hobbyist must do there own research and come to there own conclusions as to which is the best solution to their nitrate problems.
Just for the record anyone wanting to pass on any part of this post that they think may be helpful PLEASE DO SO. No permission is needed