Vodka in your Tank??

madison

Can someone clarify this rumor that I have heard about dosing Vodka into your reef to increase the benificial bacteria?
Is this true?
Anyone currently doing this?
How much to put in?
Vodka? really? is it the grain?

joker_ca

I HAVE NEVER HEARD OF THAT, WHERE DID U HEAR IT FROM???
WOULDNT THAT MAKE YOUR FISHES ALITTLE TIPPSY

pfitz44

do a search... this was just talked about somewere else on the boards... i believe the answer was yes... but should only be done by experts

ruaround

Sttudies on dosing of ethanol, using vodka, to reef tanks as a carbon source for marine heterotrophic bacteria in order to increase denitrification rates and bacterial biomass production have been done for years... There still isnt any hard/concrete evidence that there is any benefits or adverse affects... basically the conclusion is that you need nitrogen not carbon for the denitrofication process... Back when I first started in this hobby (around 15 years ago) the owner of the LFS swore by dosing with vodka, and he had very pristine tanks...

mrdc

My cleaner shrimp acts drunk all the time
He's just so funny to watch.
I've never heard of it but it will make an interesting topic to research. I guess my LFS will need to get a liquor license if something like this catches on

olga

Originally Posted by JessesDiet
Yes, but you have to add ice and lemon.
JessieDiets: you are jocking, but listen here! Today I was advised to put some RedBull in my fish tank. (I have 55 gallons tank) Water is very cloudy and green (I posted before about it and don't want to bring this topic back on the top, but all explained there if you look down on the board)
Anyway: somebody told me to put 1,5 litre of vodka and 3 of 250 ml cans of RedBull( (its contains lots of enzymes)for 55gallons of water. Its sounds crazy, but I was so desperate and trusted him, as he has successful marine tank for over 8 years now!
I just done it 5 hours ago, and water started to clear up! No distinctive difference yet, to show if I post picture but its improving at the front of my eyes! I will post it tomorrow, to give it more time to see real difference! I think its working! This is a miracle! :joy:

ruaround

Originally Posted by Olga
JessieDiets: you are jocking, but listen here! Today I was advised to put some RedBull in my fish tank. (I have 55 gallons tank) Water is very cloudy and green (I posted before about it and don't want to bring this topic back on the top, but all explained there if you look down on the board)
Anyway: somebody told me to put 1,5 litre of vodka and 3 of 250 ml cans of RedBull( (its contains lots of enzymes)for 55gallons of water. Its sounds crazy, but I was so desperate and trusted him, as he has successful marine tank for over 8 years now!
I just done it 5 hours ago, and water started to clear up! No distinctive difference yet, to show if I post picture but its improving at the front of my eyes! I will post it tomorrow, to give it more time to see real difference! I think its working! This is a miracle! :joy:
IMO this is CRAZY!!!
Red Bull is full of Vitamins & Minerals... i.e. Zinc, Potasium, Iron, Calcium and COPPER (copper isnt safe for inverts :thinking: )... why would you put something full of artificial color and artificial flavor in a tank???
In reality you probably would have been better off dosing with pure sugar...
Where is the thread discussing this topic??? I would certainly love to read it to see if there is justification of dosing with Red Bull...

mrdc

Wonder if the caffeine will have an effect

Never had a red bull so not sure it has it in there anyway.
I did find something on vodka
Praziquantel
USE: For all internal and external parasites. Can be used in fresh or saltwater. Safe for use on sharks. This product is much safer than other anti-parasitic medications.
DOSAGE: 1/4 teaspoon per 40 gallons of aquarium water. Dose 1 time and leave in the water for 5-7 days. This product must be mixed with ethyl alcohol (vodka) to become soluble in water before use.

ruaround

Red Bull has a TON of caffine, vitamin B12, taurine (alot mor Im not gonna list)... not sure if that stuff would have ill affect on the fish, inverts or bacteria either...

olga

Hi. I know that majority did not took my post seriously. Was a little joke from me.
I know its naughty. I just found topic about adding "vodka in the fish tank" is very funny. :hilarious

danedodger

I thought it was pure insanity when I first heard about dosing with vodka too but apparently some people do with good results. I'd be too chicken to try it myself though.

jessesdiet

I heard that if you put gin in the tank, it makes the fish swim in an amusing manner and bump into aquarium ornaments. (Works with tropicals, not sure about marines)

jessesdiet

There was some Vodka in this tank http://tinypic.com/mav7d0.jpg
]

danedodger

Ummm YEAH! I'd say you definitely used the wrong smiley! There are kiddos on this board. Please edit that out right away.
Ahhh thanks to whoever took that out :scared:

jessesdiet

Originally Posted by DaneDodger
Ummm YEAH! I'd say you definitely used the wrong smiley! There are kiddos on this board. Please edit that out right away.
It's gone. Phew! Thank f*** for that!