Volitan Lion Handling Question

I just got a volitan, what are the special instructions for handling this fish, I know it is poisonus, do I have to wear gloves when doing tank work, what happens if you get stung. Thanks, Justin

teog

Congrats on your lion..I too have a new volitan( my second first died due to city spraying pest control) I dont wear gloves when I clean my tank but I do watch him carfully just incase. I understand there sting is very painful and many go to the hospital to get it treated.
I also see you bought a dogface, I too researched getting that fish however everyone I spoke with said the same thing...the dogface will constantly nip and tear up the volitan!!!So you may want to watch him carfully or possible return one of the two.
Good luck

tankstolove

I care for about 30 aquariums in southern Oregon with the volitan lion and I've been stung only 3 times in 5 years, of caring for the creatures. They seem to stay away from me all of the time when cleaning. The times I have gotten stung, was from large lions 10" and up. I think that after a few years they get curious and all times I gat stung it was my fault. I even pet some of our customers lions just to show they are not that bad (show off). Do not recommend that move that's how I got stung the 3 times, thinking we were friends. Dog face and lions don't harm each other. Although dog face and groupers, now that's a fight. SEE LIFE... "It's a beautiful world!"