Waht do you think?

rck-star

I have been reef keeping for about 1 year now and I am fortunate enough to have a really good teacher.
Here is my set up:
250 Gallon All Glass Aquarium
I Custom built the stand and canopy to fit my basement
The tank can be viewed from three sides.
I made my sump out of an old 55 gal Tank.
Mag Drive 2400 For my main pump.
Mag Drive 950 for my PM Protein Skimmer
(2) CPR Aquatic 150 for my overflow boxes
Using 1000 bio balls at the moment but I am rebuilding My sump in to a Refugium with 7 different kinds of Algae next month.
I am turning 2000 GPH
R/O unit w/ float switch
Drip system for adding calcium
1 filter pad
1 200 micron filter bag
Lighting:
(3) 250 Watt Metal Halides 2 - 10,000K and 1- 14,000K
(2) 96 watt Actinic
Actinic lights are on for 10 hrs
Metal halides are on for 7 hrs

LOL!
I see you must have been hurting after setting up that tank. All the cash in the tank and a metal folding chair to sit in to view it!
:hilarious

thangbom

perdy nice tank there bro.. to bad it's in the basement where no 1 can really notice it.... something that expensive and nice aught to be on the 1st floor where every 1 that come inside the house can see it!!!!

BEAUTIFUL TANK!!!
I agree, Why in the basement? If my tank were that nice, I would want everyone to see it. But then again, DO YOU HAVE A FINISHED BASEMENT where people "hang out", If so, Cool spot for it.
I had to LOL at the folding chair post... I have been known to spend alot of $ on something I wanted for my tank, and give a little elsewhere... Like when I bought my LR.. 50 lbs each time, NO FOOD THAT WEEK.. LOL
Oh, maybe a stupid question, BUT.. WHERE"S THE SANDBED???
Thanking you kindly, Kim

rck-star

Ok Laugh at my folding chair if you will.....
The basement is being finished. I am about 90% done with it. I have a 56" wide screen TV and Sectional Sofa That goes on one side and a play area on the otherside for my Kid.
As for the sand bed... I was told to get all my rock in place first and then put the sand bed in last.
I was informed that LR does better when its sitting on the glass instead of on a sand bed (easier cleanup in the future) and Less bacteria build up under the rock.
My Basement is going to be the social area .. My wife got the upstairs and I got the basement ... lol
PS: I will use a nicer chair next time I have to Scuba Dive into my tank....LOL
Peace!

robchuck

Very nice tank, and looks like you're off to a great start! That's a beautiful Powder Blue Tang you've got in there.
One recommendation I would make is to increase the flow as more corals and rock (if any) are added to the tank. It appears as though you have a little buildup on your tank's bare bottom. This buildup eventually could lead to exessive nutrient problems. A little more flow will keep that stuff in suspension for your skimmer to remove it from the water.

Thats exactally what I was saying, wasnt an insuult, it WAS THE QUESTION YOU ANSWERED!
That's gonna be ONE BAD

[hr]
finished basement.. congrats.. wish I had that! That was the BEST place for the tank... its your own personl MAN'S DEN.. I am Jealous.
Also, I was serious about the sand question. I thought it was finished because I saw the tang in there. Be careful when you add the sand... you dont want to get a mini cycle. If your going for a DSB a bunch of your rock will be buried..

Also, I agree with the PH issue. Keep that sediment movin' on....
Thanking you kindly, Kim

rck-star

Well I got good news and Bad .....
The good news is I just took care of that sediment problem on the bottom. I syphoned all the sediment out and Added two more outlets to stur up the bottom. I also added a beautiful new elegance to my tank today.
The bad news is I lost My Powder blue Tang :(
About 2 weeks ago he cought some parasites and I treated him and he was doing fine. The owner of my local fish store (www.shotank.com) and friend of mine took him in and put him in his medicated tank at his shop. He got real skinny and croaked ........ I was pretty pissed but my buddy was really cool about it and traded him for the elegance coral. I dont think I am going to put anymore fish in until I finish with all my rock ,sand bed and refugium.
joe