want a puffer but i want coral to

puffer9006

im a new hobbist and i was in the pet store and saw a valentini puffer. i really want this fish but i heard thier can be fin nippers. i have a blue damsel and a green manrid. i want to get 2 clownfish and a coral beauty. should i be worryied about about fin nipping. also i have some coral should i be worryed about the puffer eating it. thanks for any info

rberhow

Aaahh, the valentini puffers are so cool. We love ours and couldn't say enough good about it. It has never nipped fins, we've never had it touch a coral, and it is the most personable fish in the tank. Be prepared to deal with their teeth and don't expose them to air when transferring into your tank. They have to stay emerged in water at all times or they will suck in air and this could lead to their death.

rberhow

We have actually had 2 valentini's and both have been awesome. The first one jumped while we were gone over the holidays. Good luck and let us know what you decide

pasafire

Originally Posted by puffer9006
im a new hobbist and i was in the pet store and saw a valentini puffer. i really want this fish but i heard thier can be fin nippers. i have a blue damsel and a green manrid. i want to get 2 clownfish and a coral beauty. should i be worryied about about fin nipping. also i have some coral should i be worryed about the puffer eating it. thanks for any info
I just wanted to ask since your new if you are feeding your mandarin copepods? They need a TON of them and normally only live in established tanks. My puffer picked on bottom dwelling fish, such as the mandarin so that would scare me. Please make sure you have lots of copepods for that fish so he doesn't starve to death. Not sure if your store told you what it takes to take care of them. They are very hard to keep alive if you don't have TONS of copepods...

puffer9006

i got rock from a guy who had the rock in a tank for like 2 years and i feed him live worms and he seems to eat that they just have to fall on the bottom but i did no that and i thought about returning but hes been eating the worms

rberhow

Sorry about the confusion....We had them in seperate tanks. I am not sure if they are compatible together but truly, ours have been such good community fish. We haven't had problems with either one. Awesome fish and very personable.

edwar050

I have read mixed reports about keeping valentini puffers in the same tank. Some experts, "from what I've read" said it can be done while others say no. Most all are in agreement that its not a good idea to try. I imagine if both were somewhat docile and you were keeping both a male and female in different tanks and added them to an extremely large tank "like 300 gallons" that you could get away with it and it would rock