Want comments/criticism of my pics.

grantman

In other words how could I improve upon them. They are taken with a kodak dx6440 camera. It has 4X optical zoom and 3.8X digital zoom. Does the digital zoom affect clarity of the pic even if one does not intend to print a picture?

T

tizzo

Those pics look great. How close do you wanna get?? Do you wanna know if your camera will take closer pics? My camera has a super macro setting. If yours only has macro then that needs to be taken into consideration.
And the digital zoom seems to have come a long way. Mine is a clear as regular zoom, so I don't know how much difference it makes.
Nice corals BTW.

T

tizzo

Originally posted by grantman
Yeah they were taken in macro. I see so many other pics that seem closer and more defined.

How close you can get to the actual subject has a lot to do with it too. If I can get within an inch, I can take a great pic...
But it something is on the other side of my tank, I have no way to get all up in it's business. LOL This is right up against the glass, in the CC.

T

tizzo

It was at night, so I had to allocate enough room for the flash-light to squeeze in...

grantman

The specs of the camera say that I have to be at least 3.8 inches away from the subject to get into focus. Thank you for the comment on the corals. I am somewhat dissapointed in my tank at the moment. I am seeing a lot of cyano bacteria growth. I cut back on the lighting and hopefully that will help.

grantman

I have heard that if you use the digital zoom feature and want to make a print that it will reduce the quality of the print. I was wondering if it also reduced the quality of the digital picture. If using the digital zoom reduced the clarity at all.

O

osufarker

I'll try and explain this so that it is clear, but if I don't make any sense I apologize.
Digital Zoom is not a zoom in the sense that it is making the image larger to the camera. Digital zoom blows up the center portion of the picture and crops the rest. The more digital zoom you use the more it crops.
You could effectively do the same thing by taking i the picture without the digital zoom and cropping it in photshop and blowing up the cropped image. The digital zoom is useful if you do not wish to do this in photoshop (or a similar program).
The digital zoom will not allow the camera to take more pixels than the ccd of the camera is a capable of, so yes you could say that the digital zoom lowers the quality of the picture by blowing it up.
This article explains it much more clearly than I do http://www.photoxels.com/article_zoom.html